Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"My BIL shot himself yesterday" Update (2nd update in Red)

Posted by   + Show Post

Thank you for all the comments on my other post ("OT - I need advice"). 

I have all three kids right now.  My sister called last night and couldn't leave the hospital so she asked if the little one could stay.  They were not there when it happened, but I'm not clear on what happened from there. My 5 yo neice knows that her dad shot himself.  I guess when she came into the house she asked "Who killed my dad?" I have no idea what she actually saw.  Apparently every time my sister comes home with the kids she keeps them in the car and goes in to check and make sure he hasn't done something like this.  I have no idea how long that's been going on.

I doubt very much that my sister will leave him.  My mom told her at the hospital last night that the kids have to stay away from him. I don't want my sister to lose the kids - I think that would devastate her, but I cannot imagine sending them back into that enviornment.   I know that CPS needs to get involved but I'm having to work up the nerve to do it. It's hard to explain. I wish someone outside of the family would do it, so as not to cause more damage.  That sounds so wrong and I know it and I'm ashamed. 

I really appreciate all the comments and support on both this and the first post.  My kids go to the County School District's homeschool center and I took one of my neices and my nephew with me when I took my kids this afternoon.  I sat down and had a long talk with their teacher, who my husband and I have known for years.  I have an idea she may be filing a report.  My husband and I were talking about it and he believes that we now have 6 kids.  Going through the clothes and the stuff she sent, there is more than enough for several days (especially the toddler who wasn't even supposed to be sending the night).  Some of her comments have led him to believe that this may be the case as well.  We have decided to wait and see what happens over the next couple of days before we make a call.  If that's the case we'll need to have her sign over temporary guardianship.  If she comes to get them then we will sit down with her and have that chat.  But my DH doesn' believe it's going to be necessary.  So, now my question is: how do you homeschool with a rambunctious 2 year old?!? This morning was very intersting to say the least LOL

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Replies (21-30):
oredeb
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

you could include the 2 yr old in some way? i notice when im teaching the other kids  the 2 yr old wants to do it also but the 2 yr olds attention span is less so after i do stuff with the 2 yr old and he gets tired of sitting there he wants to do something else and then i have about a half hour or so to do what i need to do with some of the other kids, also the older kids can take turns playing or whatever with the younger ones, and training the younger ones to play with certain toys at times helps sometimes,  training takes a bit of time but its worth it! how old are your kids kristin?

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I'm coming in late here but your family will be in my prayers....hoping for the best.

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I want to start off by commending you and your dh. The two of you are stepping up to care for the kids no questions asked, which not everyone would do.
As far as hs try something to keep him entertained with books, movies, coloring.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I want to start off by commending you and your dh. The two of you are stepping up to care for the kids no questions asked, which not everyone would do.
As far as hs try something to keep him entertained with books, movies, coloring.
arctophile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I homeschool every day with a 2nd grader, 1st grader, Kindergartener, 3 year old, 1 year old, and we added a newborn less than 3 weeks ago.  We let the 3 and 1 (she'll be 2 in June) play school with us.  They each have a cubby (crayon box) and bring coloring workbooks with them.  Then I take turns looking at their work right along with the bigger kids.  They don't have as long of an attention span, so they will also watch a video (educational of course) on the computer or on the tv.  They also do following instruction games (Mak touch your toes, Tabi where's your nose) activities to break it up.  It doesn't all have to be educational but keeping them involved helps.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

It's going to be really crazy and wild in the beginning.   With the kids getting used to having one another around all the time, adding in the new ones, etc...

Not to mention the kids probably need some help getting over the things they've been through....

However, that being said...

I, with my many myriad problems of my own (adult ADD, grew up in a bad home, hormone issues, etc..)...  manage to homeschool my kids (11, 8 1/2, 5, and now 9 months!)

It's not easy, but I have learned some techniques and sign up for my breaks when needed.

Some options are to set up work boxes for all the kids, or at least for the youngers...  other ideas, utilize the computer... especially for a lot of preschool and KG work.   Then add in plenty of writing practice and reading practice for the littles.   The rest of your energy focus on the olders and split them into two groups maybe.   Each group can have your attention while the other one helps to watch and entertain the youngers.

Routine will be your friend especially if you allow for some flexibility in it...

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Find a way to occupy the 2 year old either by plugging it in, or telling him/her to stay in one room (with a child gate up in the door) and play nicely for a few hours.  Also school and get as much schooling done during the 2 year old's nap.

I hope things get better for your whole family.  I know it's hard to file a report but I would do it sooner than later since CPS sometimes can drag their feet before actually getting involved and starting any investigation.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

GIve the two year old some small toys and crayons and some "worksheets".  When that fells let the 2 year old go into the other room and watch a cartoon until you can take a break.  Then take a break and let everyone run around till the baby's naptime.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Your day is a lot like mine.  Though I do not have a 3 week old.  We are currently homeschooling a 1st, k, 2 fours and a 2 year old.  I do alot of the same things.  It makes them happy and they are learning something.

Quoting arctophile:

I homeschool every day with a 2nd grader, 1st grader, Kindergartener, 3 year old, 1 year old, and we added a newborn less than 3 weeks ago.  We let the 3 and 1 (she'll be 2 in June) play school with us.  They each have a cubby (crayon box) and bring coloring workbooks with them.  Then I take turns looking at their work right along with the bigger kids.  They don't have as long of an attention span, so they will also watch a video (educational of course) on the computer or on the tv.  They also do following instruction games (Mak touch your toes, Tabi where's your nose) activities to break it up.  It doesn't all have to be educational but keeping them involved helps.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM
((Hugs))
Don't have anything to add but thinking about you guys.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)