Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT & Just For FUN: What 'Vicious' Lies Have You Told Lately?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 2 Replies

10 Vicious Lies I've Told Lately

by Jill Smokler

My new book, Motherhood Comes Naturally (And Other Vicious Lies), comes out tomorrow. Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk!! (Sorry for that. I'm freaking out a bit.)

Anyway, the book is all about dispelling the myths and lies surrounding motherhood that we've all either been told or continue to perpetrate ourselves. Does motherhood really get easier than those early newborn days? NO! Does parenting really strengthen a marriage? Hardly. Will you bounce back to your old self? Never!

Yet we hear these things so often that we don't question whether or not they're actually true. And I get it: The lies are a lot more pleasant and hopeful than the dirty truth. But I am hardly perfect, and despite striving for the truth, I've told a number of lies lately myself. Lies like these ...

1. "I'm good, thanks" to the checkout clerk who asked how I was last week during day 11 of spring break. What I meant: "I'm barely surviving, we may not make it out alive, and I can't believe I birthed these wild animals."

2. "The kids have plans, sorry to miss it!" to my friend throwing a party at a Chuck E. Cheese's 45 minutes away. The kids' plans? Complaining of boredom most likely.

3. "They REALLY want YOU to put them to bed tonight" to my husband so I could take a shower instead of dealing with the whole bedtime routine for a change.

4. "We don't have any more syrup" to my kids who wanted French toast but the notion of one more pan in the sink could have set me off the edge.

5. "I really want to take you kids to see a movie!" Translation: I really need a two-hour and ten-dollar nap.

6. "I don't have a single babysitter" to the neighbor who wanted my sitter's number for summer help. I'll share just about anything ... but I won't share that.

7. "I have no idea where your favorite book went!" (It must have flown into the trash can magically, honey! Let's pick something less annoying tonight!)

8. "It must have gotten lost in the mail!!!" to the person I completely intended on sending a party invitation to, but totally forgot she existed.

9. "It's a really bad time, can you call back?" to whoever called at 5 p.m. Really, 6, 7, 8, or 9 is no better. You're better off just not calling my house.

10. "You'll be fine!" to the class parent expecting her fifth child. What I really wanted to say? Good luck. You're sure as hell going to need it. And better you than me.

Which of these lies have you told lately? 

Add your own to the list.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I never say #1 unless it is the truth other wise I will tell the checker that the day has had it's moments, because for me there is never truly an all bad day just a day that had more bad moments then good ones.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Ok. I realise this is probably supposed to be funny..at least I hope it is meant to be funny. if not then this is just sad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN