Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Boost of confidence

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
Planning to HS my dd and ds once ds is out of k this year. My husband travels to different states for work. So we want to travel with him. Dd is 5, ds is 6. My mom says they don't listen or behave well enough for me to teach them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do this! If YOU think they listen enough then go for it!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this
They will actually get better at listening & behaving if you homeschool because you can better your relationship with them & the better your relationships the more they will want to behave for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

trendy go for it if you really want to hs them! great opportunity to be with dh and traveling around

and if they dont listen , teach them to listen, it takes time sometimes, but stick with it, its very worth it! you and your dh be on the same page that will help kids to listen!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Moms have a natural instinct when it comes to their children.  Trust it. 

trendy2
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
My mom isn't the most positive person and being raised hearing it my whole life has made me be my biggest critic. She doesn't want me to move and I know that's one reason she is being so negative about it all. I'm not a genius by any means but I think I am fairly smart. Just hope I can figure out how and what to teach and make it fun.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Do not let the naysayers nay say you. You can do this!
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom is super negative.  I haven't even told her I was considering hsing!  I can just imagine what she will say!  We plan to this fall, praying every day that it works out for us...I haven't had a conversation with my mom in weeks, possibly months, so there just hasn't been a time for me to tell her.  Not that it's her business really, lol.

You can do it.  They are still little and still learning how to listen.  They will probably be better because they will get so much time with you, they won't need your negative attention :)  I am so looking forward to building a better relationship with my kids by spending all day with them.  There will be days I go crazy, days I wonder "why did I ever think this was a good idea?!" but there will be mostly amazing days too.  Stick with your mommy instinct.  And remember it's most likely negative from her bc she doesn't want you to move, that makes a lot of sense actually, but don't let it get you down.  Do what's right for your family, not what's right for your mom.

Quoting trendy2:

My mom isn't the most positive person and being raised hearing it my whole life has made me be my biggest critic. She doesn't want me to move and I know that's one reason she is being so negative about it all. I'm not a genius by any means but I think I am fairly smart. Just hope I can figure out how and what to teach and make it fun.

RockEducation
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You go girl! You can do it!good

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You can teach them.  If my kids can be homeschooled and for the most part be a thousand times better then yours can too. 

My kids were aweful at one point.  Still are sometimes.  But with a schedule and having them home and being able to take them to the park when they are restless, I have curbed most of thier bad behavior.  They are mostly doing better.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My DH can be that way sometimes. He wants things to be like in school. You sit at a desk, or the table, you sit up straight and don't wiggle around. I think that if they are listening while laying down on the couch or plopped down on a bean bag then it's all good. He wants to tell them once and then they should know it. I'll tell them as many times as it takes, and I'll try different ways of telling them until we find something that works. That's one of the benefits of homeschooling, you can do what it takes for your kids to learn.

DH and I have talked about doing something similar, but neither of us have jobs that allow travel like that. And I'd miss my Little Daycare Girl very much, since I'm sure her Mom wouldn't let us take her with us. I think it would be a great way to teach kids about their country. I don't think it would be a matter of finding enough things to teach them, but sorting through all the stuff you'll find in your travels to find the ones you will teach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN