Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to begin? Help please

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
I want to start home schooling dd next school yr, but don't even know where to begin. She's going into 2nd and we live in Cali. What is the average cost with the curriculum books and whatever they require? Is doing it through the public school system the least expensive way? We're still able to go at our own pace, right?

Any info or links to info would be so appreciated! The more I google it, the more confused I get. Thanks ladies!
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I am in Ohio which has different laws but I can homeschool two kids for under $200 a year using the library and my printer and EBay. lol

Using a charter school can be good but they do expect you keep a certain pace which can be hard for the younger kids.

Bump for the Cali Moms!

luvemboth
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Thanks! I was under the impression the required curriculum books, etc were over $1000. Is that only if you don't go through the public school system? I'm not worried about her being able to keep up, I'm worried about her not being allowed to advance, as she's not being challenged at all right now.

Quoting mem82:

I am in Ohio which has different laws but I can homeschool two kids for under $200 a year using the library and my printer and EBay. lol

Using a charter school can be good but they do expect you keep a certain pace which can be hard for the younger kids.

Bump for the Cali Moms!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Even buying a box curriculum (a preplanned curriculum that gives you a teach guide and everything) it shouldn't cost that much brand new. 8)

No, you can get a *good* very high rated college prep, classical all the way curriculum for under $800. That's if you want to get the very expensive, probably teaching Latin, curriculum. 8)

Tell me what you hope to have in a curriculum and maybe we can guide you to a few choices.

Quoting luvemboth:

Thanks! I was under the impression the required curriculum books, etc were over $1000. Is that only if you don't go through the public school system? I'm not worried about her being able to keep up, I'm worried about her not being allowed to advance, as she's not being challenged at all right now.

Quoting mem82:

Bump for the Cali Moms!

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Kat0038
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The first thing to do is find out the laws and requirements of your state. I found out our state laws through Hslda website. Then it depends on how you want to proceed. You might want to check out cyber academy -  k12.com. It is a public school online that is completely free. 

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Find out what homeschooling options you have in your state & then figure out the one that would fit best for your family. If you go with a virtual public school they should provide all materials needed but it would be public school so you would have very little control of things.

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this book "Homeschool Your Child For Free" 2nd Edition by LauraMaery  Gold and Joan M. Zielinski. It's a good reference book. I should have checked this out first before buying different curriculum to try.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Welcome to homeschooling luvemboth

Katoo38 and usmom 3 are correct. ...The first place to begin is with California State Laws For Home School.

After that, the following article will provide you the answers to the rest of your questions.  How To Home School This one also contains information for future reference, so you will want to bookmark all three of these links.

California Support Groups

luvemboth
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all for such helpful replies & links! I emailed our district's independent study program asking if she's able to go at her own pace and advance and am waiting to hear back. I also found a charter school I'm going to inquire about.

What's funny is I haven't mentioned HSing to dd yet, and didn't even know if she really knows what it is. Last night, completely out of the blue, she says she thinks she wants to HS next yr. She described exactly what it is and said, "it'd be really fun to go to the zoo and learn about the animals there, then I can write about them!" LOL. I'm feeling much more confident about this :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)