Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question to previous public school moms

How long did it take before you felt comfortable and confident homeshooling? I have come to realize that much of this journey depends on me. I have had to throw away many pre conceived notions as to what education is. I have also become more confident as I have relaxed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I have 2 sons on the Autism spectrum & the oldest one spent the first 7 1/2 years of his education in the public school & it damaged him so much that you couldn't pay me to send my youngest son there. Kids on the Autism spectrum do so much better being homeschooled. What state are you in maybe we can help you figure out homeschooling without the online public school.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I do online schooling where im the learning coach. The teacher tokd me this is not home schooling but online schooling. I always thought it was home schooling. The teachers have politely told me to put my kids back in public school cause they would do better there. My oldest son has autism and its difficult to keep on task.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

This is our first year and I suck at it. Wont be doing it again.

oh please don't judge your ability to do this just by how the first year went! Trust me, none of us were good at this the first year. You can't possibly do any worse than the public school lol. I would seriously reconsider giving up. Would you mind sharing with us why you feel you did badly this year? It could be that there is a mom here who did exactly the same and could encourage you.

Cemommster
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Not too long. But I took my son our when he was in the 7th grade and needed to come out.  My homeschooling mom super power had no choice but to come out.

MrsImperfect
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Ohio. I have no idea where to start with homeschooling. I thought I was homeschooling but apparently I am not even though I do all the teaching. He has a hard time staying focused and doing all this work. Even one of the teachers is so mean which is why I wanted to so this in the first place because the teachers are just so mean when it comes to a child like this. I had one public school teacher try to make me since papers for her to have access to his medical records and keep in contact with his doctor! Its been a nightmare with him for the last almost 4 yrs and I thought this would help but not really.

Quoting usmom3:

I have 2 sons on the Autism spectrum & the oldest one spent the first 7 1/2 years of his education in the public school & it damaged him so much that you couldn't pay me to send my youngest son there. Kids on the Autism spectrum do so much better being homeschooled. What state are you in maybe we can help you figure out homeschooling without the online public school.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I do online schooling where im the learning coach. The teacher tokd me this is not home schooling but online schooling. I always thought it was home schooling. The teachers have politely told me to put my kids back in public school cause they would do better there. My oldest son has autism and its difficult to keep on task.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

oh please don't judge your ability to do this just by how the first year went! Trust me, none of us were good at this the first year. You can't possibly do any worse than the public school lol. I would seriously reconsider giving up. Would you mind sharing with us why you feel you did badly this year? It could be that there is a mom here who did exactly the same and could encourage you.

Koltie6
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM
We homeschool all of our children. My oldest daughter went to school until 5th grade. She has a slight comprehension issue. They made me believe she was severely impaired. We homeschooled she graduated and was asked to intern for the ag dept at Texas A&M . My youngest has ASD and seizure disorder. I let him attend speech at our PS for 3 Years. It was a joke. It just reinforced the reason we homeschool. He is doing awesome at home . I don't have to worry if he's being treated kindly. He was non verbal and I feared him not being able to tell us if something was wrong. I also believe that bad behavior is learned. We love homeschooling and we don't stress over what PS kids are learning. I know from my daughters experience we are doing just fine.
armygirl16
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Online schooling is not for everyone. Technically you are schooling at home, but still under the public schools curriculum and guidance. I would ditch the online school and check out books on homeschooling at the library. There is an unbelievable amount of different curriculums and ways to homeschool. My daughter is very independent and prefers not to have me "teach" her all the time. I have workboxes now set up for her to do so she can be independent and ask for help when she needs it.
You can do it! Just ditch the online school if it isn't working for you :)

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Ohio. I have no idea where to start with homeschooling. I thought I was homeschooling but apparently I am not even though I do all the teaching. He has a hard time staying focused and doing all this work. Even one of the teachers is so mean which is why I wanted to so this in the first place because the teachers are just so mean when it comes to a child like this. I had one public school teacher try to make me since papers for her to have access to his medical records and keep in contact with his doctor! Its been a nightmare with him for the last almost 4 yrs and I thought this would help but not really.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I am agreeing with everyone else and I *work* in a public school with kids on the spectrum.

I don't think ps is the best place for most kids, in general, never mind kids with any special need at all.  I am taking my kids out after this school year to hs...one that is academically advanced, and one that is just slightly behind.  They will both do much better with me as their teacher.  I have no idea what I'm doing, but I will figure it out with them.  No one knows them better than I do.  I have to learn how they learn and learn how to teach them, but it will work out.

I think you should try again for another year.  And try homeschooling how it works for you and him, not by the online school or the public school.  I don't know about Ohio's hsing laws, what are they like?  In my state, all we have to do is show growth over the year, via a portfolio or evaluation... I can't see it being that hard, kids learn so much naturally.  I think you can find great ways to teach your son and you can probably reduce the work load to help him stay focused.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM
We have some Mom's in here that are in Ohio & know the laws I bet they would be more then happy to help you understand them. Is he high functioning Autistic? You have to meet him where he is at not force him to do work that is above or beneath him. Find out what his learning style will also help & I bet you will find that he has been having a hard time because everything you have been trying to do with him is not working with the way he learns.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I am in Ohio. 8)

Quoting usmom3:

We have some Mom's in here that are in Ohio & know the laws I bet they would be more then happy to help you understand them. Is he high functioning Autistic? You have to meet him where he is at not force him to do work that is above or beneath him. Find out what his learning style will also help & I bet you will find that he has been having a hard time because everything you have been trying to do with him is not working with the way he learns.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Sorry you've had such a rough year.  My first year was exhausting and there were days I really wanted to send them back to school.  It's been five years now and I'm so glad I stuck with it.  The benefits and results are awesome.  It takes time and patience to find what works.  One thing I learned is my kids are unique and I can't fit them into someone else's box of ideas.  Best of luck for next year...

Quoting MrsImperfect:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I guess with each little accomplishment I gain confidence.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)