Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question to previous public school moms

How long did it take before you felt comfortable and confident homeshooling? I have come to realize that much of this journey depends on me. I have had to throw away many pre conceived notions as to what education is. I have also become more confident as I have relaxed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
You where the #1 Mom I was thinking of!

Quoting mem82:

I am in Ohio. 8)

Quoting usmom3:

We have some Mom's in here that are in Ohio & know the laws I bet they would be more then happy to help you understand them. Is he high functioning Autistic? You have to meet him where he is at not force him to do work that is above or beneath him. Find out what his learning style will also help & I bet you will find that he has been having a hard time because everything you have been trying to do with him is not working with the way he learns.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Ohio. I have no idea where to start with homeschooling. I thought I was homeschooling but apparently I am not even though I do all the teaching. He has a hard time staying focused and doing all this work. Even one of the teachers is so mean which is why I wanted to so this in the first place because the teachers are just so mean when it comes to a child like this. I had one public school teacher try to make me since papers for her to have access to his medical records and keep in contact with his doctor! Its been a nightmare with him for the last almost 4 yrs and I thought this would help but not really.

Quoting usmom3:

I have 2 sons on the Autism spectrum & the oldest one spent the first 7 1/2 years of his education in the public school & it damaged him so much that you couldn't pay me to send my youngest son there. Kids on the Autism spectrum do so much better being homeschooled. What state are you in maybe we can help you figure out homeschooling without the online public school.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I do online schooling where im the learning coach. The teacher tokd me this is not home schooling but online schooling. I always thought it was home schooling. The teachers have politely told me to put my kids back in public school cause they would do better there. My oldest son has autism and its difficult to keep on task.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

This is our first year and I suck at it. Wont be doing it again.

oh please don't judge your ability to do this just by how the first year went! Trust me, none of us were good at this the first year. You can't possibly do any worse than the public school lol. I would seriously reconsider giving up. Would you mind sharing with us why you feel you did badly this year? It could be that there is a mom here who did exactly the same and could encourage you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

We have been homeschooling for 1 1/2 years.  I am more comfortable planning and getting lessons together than when I first started. 

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I'm not homeschooling ds. This is the first year.we're using an online charter school. I like it more then ps, but I'm not sure I'll do it again next year. There are certain subjects (art and music) that he did better in in ps. Plus I work more then full-time and don't get to do everything I want. I'd love to do more supplemental learning.
lifesadream83
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM

It took a year for dd and I to settle into a routine.  We also needed to switch curriculum until we found what worked.  Confidence came for me when I realized the teacher wasn't paying attentiion to my child.  The day I pulled her out I knew we would be fine.  I am in school to be a teacher though however, I feel as though aside from child development theories the only thing I really learn is how to discipline 30 kids.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM
(Hugs) the online schools tried to tell me something similar as well with my son. He does not have autism but had series delays with reading and used to sit and cry during their school. The online schools are no better than the public schools. Do not let their judgment be the deciding factor on your ability. Please please reconsider homeschooling without the online school telling you what to do.
You are capable of so so much more than those schools give you credit for.
There are quite a few wonderful women in this group who can give you advice and help for teaching your son. Just ask and they will be ready and willing to help.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I do online schooling where im the learning coach. The teacher tokd me this is not home schooling but online schooling. I always thought it was home schooling. The teachers have politely told me to put my kids back in public school cause they would do better there. My oldest son has autism and its difficult to keep on task.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

oh please don't judge your ability to do this just by how the first year went! Trust me, none of us were good at this the first year. You can't possibly do any worse than the public school lol. I would seriously reconsider giving up. Would you mind sharing with us why you feel you did badly this year? It could be that there is a mom here who did exactly the same and could encourage you.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I am in Ohio. It is one of the states that it isn't too hard to homeschool. There are laws but they aren't too strict. If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Ohio. I have no idea where to start with homeschooling. I thought I was homeschooling but apparently I am not even though I do all the teaching. He has a hard time staying focused and doing all this work. Even one of the teachers is so mean which is why I wanted to so this in the first place because the teachers are just so mean when it comes to a child like this. I had one public school teacher try to make me since papers for her to have access to his medical records and keep in contact with his doctor! Its been a nightmare with him for the last almost 4 yrs and I thought this would help but not really.

Quoting usmom3:

I have 2 sons on the Autism spectrum & the oldest one spent the first 7 1/2 years of his education in the public school & it damaged him so much that you couldn't pay me to send my youngest son there. Kids on the Autism spectrum do so much better being homeschooled. What state are you in maybe we can help you figure out homeschooling without the online public school.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM

The first year, we actually did better than subsequent years.   I think we all were just "fresher" and more excited.   However, I've had some hardships (financially and such) since that first year.   Also, that was the same year I was still doing daycare for a group of before and afterschool kids, so I was forced into keeping our routine.

However, I'm now on official year three... and I'm still messing up a lot and questioning myself tenfold!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM

When I first pulled my boys from ps, I started them with a few courses using k12.  I really liked it and I was so (overly) nervous about the portfolio and things that I gave myself an ulcer (YIKES!) so I put them fully in k12.  But as I learned that I could teach elementary school just as well as high school (I was certified to teach high school), I decided to brush them off.  I've been fully homeschooling since February and I am now very confident.  I know in my heart that if the evaluators suggest i "can't" do this they will find that my kids are above their levels if they try to test them into the school system.  I am still way too anxious about the portfolios, but it beats the alternatives! 

It helps that when I ask my boys if they want to go to the b&M they say "No Way!"

Cemommster
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

TIme for a new curriculum then.  I am sorry this isn't working.  What can we do to support and help you?

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

srichtermom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

This is our first year homeschooling and my dd is in 4th grade.  She was in private school for kindergarten and public school for three years.  We are loving it!!  It took almost the whole year for us to get in the full swing of things and for me to feel completely confident, and there are definitely still days I question myself :-)  We are switching to a more Charlotte Mason method in the fall which I think is going to make a world of difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)