Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
so dh and i have been reviewing different lesson plans and methods as we have to enroll Dd by august. we have been using various workbook to see what is a better fit. now Dd loves thwarting kumon workbook. she has competed the first eight which are geared for the under 6 set. i discovered that there are a few learning centers near us that she can join for supplemental help, but the parent reviews on yelp &yahoo are less than promising. has anyone dealt with kumon before?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Replies (11-12):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I've heard it isn't worth it but I have no personal experience. I've seen many of the elementary workbooks because a friend's kids used them (long story but her ex messes with her through the kids all the time and got unnecessary tutoring court ordered @@) and I've recently purchased a couple of the preschool workbooks for LO. That is the extent of my investment in something I can do myself and probably do better. KWIM? I don't know if it is mandated in your community that you buy a curriculum, but if it isn't, just put one together yourself.
SchoolsNMore
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

As with anything, there are pros and cons to the Kumon approach. I have been a Kumon mom for the last two years with both my kids enrolled in it and so far it's worked great. The pros a) teaches them to work independently b) instills discipline of doing the homework everyday c) emphasizes speed and accuracy which is good prep for standardized tests that kids take later. Cons a) repetition- kids may resist doing the same homework everyday. b) no tutoring - if you're looking for someone to teach your child, it most likely will be you! Kumon does not have classes and they typically don't tutor. Hope this helps. For some kids Kumon definitely works but it's not the only option and for interested parents - here are some of the other math programs out there as well: http://www.schoolsnmore.com/articles/article/53-what-s-the-right-formula-a-look-at-kumon-aloha-singapore-math-and-vedic-math

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN