Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Out of curiousity, your scheduled day

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you set a limit for each class on what you need to get done for the day or a time limit?

So do you say we need to get through pages 4-8 in math or we need to do 45 minutes of math?

I was doing the pages for my 8th grader.  Some days he was ok with it , others he said it was too much.  So I decided to do a 45 min time lapse....and he got even less done.  Just wondering what others are doing.  We have taken a break from school, thinking he was overworked.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Replies (11-19):
oredeb
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM

yes we have a limit for language arts and math for all the kids

45 min usually covers it and thats for 1 lesson in math and 1 or more lessons in english(if they have more time left they can do another lesson)

Cemommster
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Everything is written in a planner, so he can choose what to start with. 

He is getting everything. The homework is from when I would give him a lesson and he would goof off and take extra time. So a time limit was also set, and like someone else said, if he doesn't utilize the time given, the remaining time to finish the lesson would go into his personal time, or homework.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I write out his assignmnts on an index card. He can pick what order to do it as long as it gets done. He loves knowing what is next. Maybe that will help?

Also, (I don't mean to be rude) but why do you have schoolwork plus homework? Is he not understanding the concepts during the day? 

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Got cha! That makes sense! 

Quoting Cemommster:

Everything is written in a planner, so he can choose what to start with. 

He is getting everything. The homework is from when I would give him a lesson and he would goof off and take extra time. So a time limit was also set, and like someone else said, if he doesn't utilize the time given, the remaining time to finish the lesson would go into his personal time, or homework.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I write out his assignmnts on an index card. He can pick what order to do it as long as it gets done. He loves knowing what is next. Maybe that will help?

Also, (I don't mean to be rude) but why do you have schoolwork plus homework? Is he not understanding the concepts during the day? 

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We have short days, short lessons.

This our structured schedule (30min increments):

morning walk

Singapore math + math games

Science

Nature study

Reading + snack

English

Art + Music

History

Saxon math + math games

Lunch @ 12pm

Free time

The rest of the day is unstructured. Every Monday they are given a list of things they should accomplish throughout the week during this time. Time4learning, reading time, a list of websites I found related to the lessons - or just fun educational ones, any writing or creative projects I assign, etc. 

Every week I set a reading goal. If they read for a certain amount of hours - then they get something out of our school "treasure chest" and earn some extra tv time or iPad time. 

I also keep a laminated schedule of our day on the wall - and I let them put a sticker up as we complete each task. 

I have five differently colored stars laminated. Each color represents something I would like to see them work on. For example; My son is hyper and struggles with following directions. My daughter struggles with being mature and keeping a positive attitude (she can get real grumpy - especially when she doesn't get her way). They both struggle is bickering with each other. I hand out the stars each day as I see an example of them in the act of behaving in that area. They cant lose the star once they earned it. How many ever stars they earn determines the prize they get at the end of the day. Any problems that arise are dealt with separately. This is just a positive enforcement tool. - but if is an issue is dawdling, then it could be incorporated. I only allow two issues for each of them to focus on at a time. Plus the being kind to each other -no bickering. 

I have never yet experienced a lesson not getting completed in the 30mins structured time. However, I likely would not throw off the schedule due to it. I would just continue on with it the next day. For my kids, I believe 30mins is long enough. If they are struggling then I don't want them burnt out and frustrated over it. If they were dawdling then I would consider why and how often and try to see if it is just a character issue arising, are they bored, too challenged, etc. - but I don't think adding more time to the lesson would be the solution without first some time for myself to think upon the causing issue. I would just move on with the day in the meantime. See if it continues to be an issue in other subject areas. I also wouldn't want a child to think dawdling in one subject puts off a dreaded subject coming up - or be overwhelmed at how far he fell behind in the day and other subjects due to it. 

I follow the Charlotte Mason method. In her books is a story called "inconstant kitty". I found it helpful. I am on a iPad so I can't add a link that works, but here is the link, and it is the story which Ambleside has on their website. 

http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/vol5complete.html#5_1_02 

Charlotte mason believed in starting with forming habits and starting lessons small. Making sure the child CAN COMPLETE the task. 

A great book is the Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola. It's a great simplified version of the Charlotte Mason 6 book series. Ambleside online also has a lot of valuable information. Much of it would help your specific situation. 

I only have structured time 4 hrs a day (mornings) - Monday thru Thursday. The afternoons and Fridays are unstructured. I wanted a balance of disciplined structured time and yet the ability to have unstructured time to explore their interests, learn how to manage their time and accomplish goals, etc. Life is full of both structured and unstructured time. Being able to follow deadlines, paying attention, etc. yet it also about thinking for yourself, exploring your own personal interests, etc. I believe in a balance. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Not in the least.  Learning does not follow a schedule.  I trust my kids curiosity.  I follow wherever their curiosity leads.  If they want to do math all day that is what we will do.  I always make sure they read every day.  I do the same for myself.  They pretty much read every day.  They love being read to as well.  The only time limits we have is when we have activities that we have to be at a certain time.  I would listen to your 8th grader.  Are there certain subjects he is having trouble getting done?  I would get him some variety in his day.  With Math I alternate every other day.  We do teaching textbooks one day and life of fred the next.  Also for grammar many times I just let me sons do extra reading.  You learn a lot about grammar by just reading.  Good luck.

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Honestly I have a weekly layout of what I want to accomplish that week.  We follow it day by day.  Some days we don't get everything done some we get more done.  Sometimes we are reading on the way to the grocery store.  I check the boxes as we finish put the start and end date at the top of the page and just take it as it comes.  He may need a break.  He may also just be struggling with the topic.  Sometimes when they get frustrated they want to just give up.  It also maybe too repetative and he may be bored.  Talk to him and see if you can get to the root of it.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We set no limits, lol. We are really eclectic, and if we dive into something that is fun and interesting we can spend days on it. If someone is stuck, we just work with that until they understand, or get frustrated, then we pick it up the next day. We don't really start at the same time everyday. Usually it is somewhere between 12-1, but sometimes it is earlier or later.

OFIH
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM
We go by lessons and how much is in each one. I like that our math isn't divided into days but into lessons. So we have, for example, lesson 14. It has 7 pages of things to do. We can do those in two days if it's a topic my son really grasps and moves right on through. We can do it over 1 1/2 - 2 weeks if my son needs extra time with it or just isn't able to do the work on the harder level that day. I judge each day by what my son is showing me and set no time limit or lesson limit. He will often tell me, "let's do more. I want Friday off for (fill in the subject)". If he's getting it, then I let him and let him skip that subject on Friday (which makes for shorter days on Friday if he doesn't have every subject). So in a nutshell, whatever works for the day/week in question. I try to be very flexible in my schooling so the boys get exactly what they need each day.

OFIH - Lover of God, wife to awesome, mommy to two incredibles, controller of chaos.

My blog - From Traffic To Tractors

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I used to think that to be a "real" homeschooler, I had to have a planner, a schedule, and had to check off the boxes. It took me forever to figure out we don't work like that LOL! My kids know what comes next in the book, they do it, they move on. Of course, this has gotten easier as they've gotten older. Their school day has actually gotten shorter as they've become more independent. We usually start around 10, do the subjects in whatever order they want ot do them in, and they are done by 12:30 or 1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)