Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another reason I look forward to HS'ing

Posted by   + Show Post
If I oversleep I don't have to worry about the kids missing the bus. We are down to one car right now and DH has it at work so I wouldn't have been able to take them to school. I might've been able to get a neighbor to help, but no guarantees. But luckily they made it.

So, what are some not so textbook reasons you like HS'ing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
wunderwifey
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM
This is one of our reasons too. DH works 12 hour rotating shifts (this week days, next week nights only 2 weekends off a month) an hour and a half away from home. He leaves before they get up and gets home at or just after bedtime.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Spending more time with Dad. He works nights and if they were in school would never see him.

Also..getting to go to the fun places when everyone else is in school. :)

Cemommster
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My dh works for a huge retail company.  He cannot get vacation time when the PS are off for vacations, IE Christmas, Easter...so we can now go whenever we want. And we won't have to fight with other families for space.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM
That sounds very similar to my husbands schedule! He is always on 12 hour nights, and drives over 1.5 Hours each way.

Quoting wunderwifey:

This is one of our reasons too. DH works 12 hour rotating shifts (this week days, next week nights only 2 weekends off a month) an hour and a half away from home. He leaves before they get up and gets home at or just after bedtime.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Spending more time with Dad. He works nights and if they were in school would never see him.

wunderwifey
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
It sucks! lol. I'm just thankful for days off .

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

That sounds very similar to my husbands schedule! He is always on 12 hour nights, and drives over 1.5 Hours each way.

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Spending more time with Dad is also one of our reasons. My hubby works from 12 noon to 10PM Mon-Fri & my kids would never see him on week days if we didn't homeschool.

We also love to vacation out of season to avoid crowds & to get better prices.

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Ruthmom802
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

So I can be with my son each day and enjoy all of his growing up firsts...Yeah, the sleeping in thing is such a bonus! But, we also stay up late sometimes and do some school later in the evening when a lot of kids are in bed.  

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Today I had a ROUGH day, I believe it was rough for a reason and by the end of it, I was feeling a LOT better and just ready to trust in God and His will.

We decided to go out to dinner and try to be a family for the evening without all the other stuff. I was feeling guilty for going out when I am possibly not going to be working after June at this point and thinking we should save every penny, when the manager came over and told us we would not be paying for dinner since it took an hour to get it.  We had a great dinner with the kids, but DD did not finish all her homework.

If she wasn't in ps, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I'm not too worried, I will write a note and she will hand it in the next day since I need to reteach it to her since she doesn't learn it at school anyway (another reason to hs)...we have never had to turn homework in late so I really am not worried, it is just different answering to someone else when the teacher isn't even the one teaching her the stuff.

Anyway, I have lots of reasons, every day I think 'just another reason to hs' or 'I can't wait to hs.'  Now, to get my employment situation, and our insurance situation, settled so I can have a plan for the fall...

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My DH also works nights.  He forces himself to sleep while we are all at school, but like today, he fell asleep at 1:30 and was up at 6 catering to me and my needs.  Now he will be up all night :/  when we hs we are hoping his schedule and job will change...but either way, he can sleep whenever his body wants to and we will all get to spend time with him and school while he is sleeping!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

So many of my reasons too!

Although no vacations because we are poor, lol.  But we can get the free library passes any time!  I just booked one now for two weeks from today during our April school vacation...it will be nice to have more flexibility with that!

Can't wait to have the commercial influences be less, along with the peer pressure! 

I am so looking forward to hsing...even when I think about possible negatives, the positives completely outweigh them.

Quoting JCB911:

Family vacations when we want to. 

Impromptu field trips or days off.

Less commercial influence on my kids  (They aren't going to see, as much, all the crap out there)

Hopefully, un-inhibited kids - They'll be free to be themselves without fear of social pressure (I remember hating book reports b/c the book I chose might not be "cool" enough).

Just getting more time with them (although today that is proving to be a negative, but, that happens)

eviesmom453
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quoting Koltie6:

We have show cattle and are gone alot. It's awesome not to have to worry if we miss too many days. We are not good with school rules and regulations regarding this.

Honestly, you should be re-think homeschooling if you can't even spell A LOT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN