Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another reason I look forward to HS'ing

Posted by   + Show Post
If I oversleep I don't have to worry about the kids missing the bus. We are down to one car right now and DH has it at work so I wouldn't have been able to take them to school. I might've been able to get a neighbor to help, but no guarantees. But luckily they made it.

So, what are some not so textbook reasons you like HS'ing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
ablessedlife
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I can kiss the boys in the middle of math class.

My second son can bring his pocketknife to class. He can draw guns and write about guns all he wants.

My eldest can sit on his exercise ball all he wants.
Koltie6
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Lol whoops . Did you mean re - thinking? People that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Quoting eviesmom453:

Quoting Koltie6:

We have show cattle and are gone alot. It's awesome not to have to worry if we miss too many days. We are not good with school rules and regulations regarding this.

Honestly, you should be re-think homeschooling if you can't even spell A LOT.

ablessedlife
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting eviesmom453:

Uncalled for.

I have high expectations of homeschoolers too, but " alot" is a very common mistake.
cjsmom1
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM
He can finish in 3 hours and have the rest of the day to do whatever he wants.
He can play outside more now that it's getting nice out.
I don't have to worry about him being "diagnosed" with something. He's really bright and is a handful when he's bored.
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting eviesmom453:

Uncalled for.

I have high expectations of homeschoolers too, but " alot" is a very common mistake.

She is just a troll, trying to find her sad entertainment in here!

katinahat
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Camping. Seriously, spontaneous camping trips are going to be so awesome. It's a big part of what I loved about having a 3-4 day schedule in college :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

mhaney03
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

SLEEP!  my health has been suffering in recent weeks due to lack of sleep.  In taekwondo last night I passed out because my blood sugar dropped so fast.  I already have a tentative schedule worked out for when we start homeschooling about a month after they get out of public school and I made it so we ALL get enough sleep, time to eat, relax time, and time for my own college coursework.  I went have lunch with my son earlier this year and those poor little ones didn't have time to breathe much less eat at a healthy pace. 

I have a friend who teaches within the city at a much bigger school, and she said the teachers are like drill instructors at lunch and they only have 12 minutes.  the teachers circle the lunchroom and yell STOP TALKING!  EAT THAT!  YOUR MILK IS IN THE WRONG SPOT! TURN YOUR TRAY AROUND!

wunderwifey
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
My husband and I are trying to figure out a routine that will work for us. We have one DD that is a night owl and super grumpy if woken before 8am. And the other DD is an early bird getting up at 6 everyday. I'd rather get up later too since DS gets me up a couple times a night. Both older kids will still have to be in bed by 8 cause their grouches and start fighting if we let them stay up later.
I want to work with each of their own styles and body clocks but I'm not sure how that's gonna work. I'm thinking let the younger one have the freedom to work independently before I get up but I'm not sure how well that will work. We'll just have to try it and see I guess.

Quoting mhaney03:

SLEEP!  my health has been suffering in recent weeks due to lack of sleep.  In taekwondo last night I passed out because my blood sugar dropped so fast.  I already have a tentative schedule worked out for when we start homeschooling about a month after they get out of public school and I made it so we ALL get enough sleep, time to eat, relax time, and time for my own college coursework.  I went have lunch with my son earlier this year and those poor little ones didn't have time to breathe much less eat at a healthy pace. 

I have a friend who teaches within the city at a much bigger school, and she said the teachers are like drill instructors at lunch and they only have 12 minutes.  the teachers circle the lunchroom and yell STOP TALKING!  EAT THAT!  YOUR MILK IS IN THE WRONG SPOT! TURN YOUR TRAY AROUND!

8timesmom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I am loving all of the replies to this question!  We have been homeschooling since my oldest daughter (21) came along and we just started with our 8th child (5) this year and I would not trade the journey.  Sometimes I get worn out, but I can rest and regroup.  Homeschooling has worked with pregnancies, caring for my mother and father-in-laws, sickness, health, till death do we part.....wait a minute, I think that was something else :-)  Have a great HS day!

chlippr77
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM
We've changed our schedule to match DH's days off. We still have 5 school days a week, but never have school more than 4 days in a row. And we don't even have breakfast until almost noon because DH tends to work very late, so we adjusted our schedule so that we can ALWAYS have dinner as a family and don't have to worry about the kids getting to bed so they can get up early to go to school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)