Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Questions on where to start!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

First a little introduction. My name is Angie. I'm 25 and have been married 7 years. I have a 5 year old son (Ian) and a 15 month old daughter (Hailey)

I was planning on registering my son for kindergarten for this coming school year, but I was only doing so because I thought DH was against homeschooling, I found out this morning he is not too thrilled about the thought of public school. Sooo now I am going to be learning all I can about homeschooling and doing that instead.

I have no clue where to even start though. So any and all information would be much appreciated! Thanks!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Your first stop should be to your state's laws.  Then you will know when you need to report (Or even IF you need to report).  Kindergarten is usually not required, so take the time next year to learn what type of learner you have there.  Working on letter names and sounds, counting, numbers and all that is reaggy great, but at this age remember to make the lessons fun.

Welcome to the group!  :-)

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I'm in washington and I believe I don't have to report until he's 8. And he is already reading and doing simple math. he can read books that I found out are a 5th grade reading level. (diary of a wimpy kid)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Your first stop should be to your state's laws.  Then you will know when you need to report (Or even IF you need to report).  Kindergarten is usually not required, so take the time next year to learn what type of learner you have there.  Working on letter names and sounds, counting, numbers and all that is reaggy great, but at this age remember to make the lessons fun.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM

That is Awesome!!  If you think he is ready for a full curiculum, there are a lot of them out there.  You are already doing a great job!  So Relax, you'll do well!

Quoting .Angelica.:

I'm in washington and I believe I don't have to report until he's 8. And he is already reading and doing simple math. he can read books that I found out are a 5th grade reading level. (diary of a wimpy kid)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks! There are so many different cirriculums I'm just lost on what the good ones are and where to start. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That is Awesome!!  If you think he is ready for a full curiculum, there are a lot of them out there.  You are already doing a great job!  So Relax, you'll do well!

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Do you want a Christian-based curriculum or a secular?

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

christian based would be good.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Well there's Abeka (which is having a deal right now on shipping), Christian Light Ed, Sonlight, And MFW (My Father's World).  I've done a bit of Abeka, I like it.  It keeps it interesting and short for the first few grades.  They begin cursive writing very quickly which can sometimes be difficult for little boys.  The others I hve no experience with, but many of the Ladies here use them!

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you. I will look into them :) I know I've heard of Abeka before.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well there's Abeka (which is having a deal right now on shipping), Christian Light Ed, Sonlight, And MFW (My Father's World).  I've done a bit of Abeka, I like it.  It keeps it interesting and short for the first few grades.  They begin cursive writing very quickly which can sometimes be difficult for little boys.  The others I hve no experience with, but many of the Ladies here use them!

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like you are getting great advice all ready. Here is a link to learning style tests, knowing his learning style will help you when pickinga curriculum. Also tying things he likes to what he is learning will help keep him interested.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN