Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Single homeschooling moms?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
-mom says I "need to give up the homeschooling dream" because it didn't work for her.
-dd's dad is against homeschooling for all the stereotypical reasons, and uses me as an example to prove his point (I'm very socially awkward, kind of a recluse, friendless, easy to pick on, etc...my brothers were the opposite)
-i want to homeschool because I feel it's right. I was homeschooled k-8, then by my own choice, I went to high school. Best four years of my life---socially. I learned very little.
-I'm now 20, and dd is 15 months. I'm having zero luck with finding a job, and had a pt self-employ thing teaching knitting that lasted a month. I'd love to work from home, but I can't find any lasting clients.
Is my mom right? Should I give up on this dream?

Sorry for the patchy type job. I'm not good at communicating, and I'm scared to see the hate posts, but I'm also scared that my mom's right.
If something I said is unclear or needs explaining, go ahead and ask.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BramblePatch
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Mom does not always know best! But homeschooling can be financially exhausting for a single mom. Do you live with your mom? Do you get child support or other income? If you need to work part time, do you have reliable childcare? If the fathers permisdion needed to HS in your State? Are you prepared to learn to adjust to social settings at playdates, co-ops, etc?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Being a single mom in any fashion is extremely stressful. I am a single mom homeschooling. I work fulltime but I have the full support of my family. My father is retired and keeps my son while I am at work. I think if homeschooling is something you think is best for you and your child you need to stand up to your family and let them know why. You need their support! 

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Hi if you have the financial resources to support you both, and feel comfortable about it go ahead. I'm a single Mom, and the only supporters I have is my parents. Even they make their comments about quitting. One thing I found amazing is how Destinay came out of her shell. We had a play group but due to family issues we didn't start it up again after it ended. Then we went to the library and Destinay was in front of all these other kids playing Just Dance 4.
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I have a friend that is homeschooling her DD as a single parent & she works full time. It can be done but it is hard. There is a new way for parents that want to homeschool but can't for varies reasons to connect with homeschooling family's that are willing to help the website is http://parentsforliberty.org/connect

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I work a ft third shift job and sometimes do a pt job on Wknds during the summer.

I homeschool year round - short weeks (4days a wk), short days (4hr days), short lessons (30mins) - and we take a week off from school every 3mths. = it's about 768hrs a year. However, they also have reading time with me every evening, do time4learning, and have unstructured learning time five times a week - every wk (minus our wks off). So they end up with more than the 900hrs a year that our state requires. 

I have a solid support system. My FIL is retired, my oldest daughter is grown -- they offer to babysit whenever I am in need. The father is hugely supportive of homeschooling. Various family members buy the kids magazine subscriptions and bookstore gift cards for Easter, Valentines day, etc. For christmas and bdays - my MIL helps pay for activities the kids wish to be in, as well as a few gifts. 

I make sure that I take time to meditate and pray every day. Every other Saturday I go out with a friend for lunch. I created a peaceful place to go to in the house. I keep my life simple, clutter free, and organized. I have me time - for me, that is to read usually. All of these things help me mentally and emotionally. 

Making sure you are set up to take care of all of the responsibilities of life is a must. Make sure you can handle All of the financial, mental, emotional and time requirements!

shellyNkatie
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Currently I live with my mom, my little brother, dd's dad, and dd. My mom and bro are moving to their own place at the end of this month, and the three of us are switching to a smaller apartment.
I have no personal income, not since my only knitting student had to cancel due to her college classes starting up. I don't get child support as dd's dad lives with me, and he puts aside only $50 for her per month if that. Thank god for cloth diapers, because he couldn't figure out how to afford the chemical ones even if we chose that route.
I don't need his permission to hs, however he is opposed to it and given that he's abusive of me I generally back down...
I've never been good in groups. When me and my brothers were little, my socially awkward parents took us to those meet up things. It always ended in disaster one way or another. On top of that, the groups were always too far away for us to go regularly (more than once a month), so we just hung out with ourselves and went to parks as a family.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Mom does not always know best! But homeschooling can be financially exhausting for a single mom. Do you live with your mom? Do you get child support or other income? If you need to work part time, do you have reliable childcare? If the fathers permisdion needed to HS in your State? Are you prepared to learn to adjust to social settings at playdates, co-ops, etc?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN