Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is 3yrs old a good age to start preschool like activities?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hannah is 17 months old and knows how to follow basic directions (Bring Mommy the towel.Take your clothes off for bath.) Knows all of her basic body parts.She picks her own food and clothes out.She can answer simple questions. (Did you poopy? Is your tummy full?)....Were working on potty training....ok now time for my real question.lol based on that info,do you ladies think 3 would be a good age to start ABCs,shapes,numbers,coloring,ect.? Im sorry its so long :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Start on that stuff as soon as you think she's ready! DD learned most of that stuff before 3, so 3 is definitely not too early, but its also not "late," that is just what my DD has excelled at. We have used the ABCs song to teach ABCs and otherwise flash cards for shapes, colors, etc. She is 2 1/2 and just now learning letters and numbers by sight. 

Just remember that every kid is different, so if at 3 she's not ready, it's not a big deal. My DD learned these things already but we are also still working on potty training. It's great that you're already thinking about these things!

hannahs.mama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
thanks. :) dh husband thinks im crazy but just love education and i can already tell she does too.she can sil and look through her books for hours and for some reason sits in a corner a puts things in different piles...i havent figured out the system yet though lol

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Start on that stuff as soon as you think she's ready! DD learned most of that stuff before 3, so 3 is definitely not too early, but its also not "late," that is just what my DD has excelled at. We have used the ABCs song to teach ABCs and otherwise flash cards for shapes, colors, etc. She is 2 1/2 and just now learning letters and numbers by sight. 

Just remember that every kid is different, so if at 3 she's not ready, it's not a big deal. My DD learned these things already but we are also still working on potty training. It's great that you're already thinking about these things!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM
My almost 3 year old sits with us for school when she wants. We always sang the alphabet with them, I use it as a lullaby, and we count things we see and talk about colors and shapes from the time they start talking. I make it more interactive and games and moving. We just live our lives that way. So you could do that. Though my almost 3 year old has worksheets, really just coloring pages, she does them when she wants.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

include it  in with home life, lots of hands on learning is what i did for mine, singing songs, readingh, dancing, playing, cooking, arts and crafts, painting,  make the shapes so she can hold them, put the abcs on the wall,. numbers on the wall, colors up where she can see them, talk about colors of things in the house, plant a garden, if shes not ready she'll let you know! dont have to have a special time for the learning just include it in what you do every day

mhaney03
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
We are, 3yo is in speech and they use a lot of preschool stuff with him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
8timesmom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Make your homeschooling part of your life...It's all education...sleep through the night, potty trained, tie a shoe, alphabet, phonics, etc.  Your kids are learning all the time.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I agree with making it part of everyday life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN