Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trig/Pre-Calc

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

What have you guys used as curriculum for math after Algebra 2?

Should I be looking for Pre-Calculus or Trigonometry?

We've used Teaching Textbooks for Alg 2, but it doesn't go far enough into trig functions, imo, to be complete. (Yes, I figured this out a little late in the game.)

There's a good chance she'll still be hs'ing next year instead of back in ps. Yay! I'm hoping to do a dual enrollment for her Physics at the local community college, but she has to take an admissions exam.

From my brief glance at the sample test, I started having Trig flashbacks from high school, and I really need a curriculum that doesn't require me to be terribly hands-on with the teaching. DH is great at helping her in the evenings - he's an engineer - but it would work best if she could manage the bulk of it on her own.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Life Of Fred is the only one I've seen that goes that far, they claim to be able to take your child past college freshman math. Of course, I've not done that much research into it, just looking at things that I can start now and stick with all the way through. Mine are only jr high and aren't mathy kids, so I never looked that hard at Cal or Trig.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

If she wants to take physics, she NEEDS Trig.  In fact most schools make trig a pre-requisite to physics but at the very least a co-requisit.

I taught physics.  The kids who had trig first understood far better than those who were taking them together.

If she is taking college level Physics, then calculus is the co-req.  They expect their students to already know trig and have a basic understanding of derivations.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Trigonometry should be before Pre-Calc, then Cacl 1 and then Calc 2.

As for what to get, I don't have very many suggestions since my two older ones are in Algebra 1 still and I'm thinking of seeing if they can just take the Trig and Calc courses at a local college (if I can get them to admit students who are under age 16) instead of at home.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Kolbe Academy

You can enroll in their high school math courses; they aren't like webinars, but they include teacher support if necessary, texts, and lesson plans - and they are very STEM/mathematics rigorous.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My oldest (11th-grader in public school) went straight from honors algebra 2 in 10th to honors pre-calc. in 11th.  As far as science prereq's/coreq's, he's taking honors chemistry at the same time as honors honors pre-calc and physics.

The order and prerequisites vary by district and college.  I'm thinking about moving into trig right after algebra 2 with my 9th-grade son who is homeschooled.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Trig is usually combined with one of the advanced Algebra classes. Back when I was in school, it was in a class called Algebra III/Trigonometry, which came before a class called Pre-Calculus. I remember the class being nearly all Trignometry. Anyway, I digress...

I've been looking at the Art of Problem Solving as a possibility for my dd when she gets to the Algebra level. They combine Trig with their Pre-Calculus material. So, when looking make sure you check both Algebra and Calculus levels. As a matter of fact, you may want to look at Teaching Textbooks, since your daughter is used to it. Their Pre-Calculus course includes it, according to the table of contents I found online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)