Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to do

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 11 Replies
This was my first year homeschooling. I have 4 kids ages 9, 6, 2, and 5 months. I pulled my kids out of public school for many reasons. I wanted to homeschool them all the way thru 12th grade. Now I am having second thoughts and have been thinking about sending them back to school next year. We live in a small house, it's been a long winter and the kids have been fighting a lot and the baby wants me. I'm just not sure what to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelamiles05
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

You should do what you think is best for your family. As long as your school is going to provide a quality education and safe envirronment there is nothing wrong with sending them back. Just my thought. Hope it helps.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I find seperating the kids and taking a break from school when they get overwhelmed helps.  I am schooling year round so they can take breaks when they want to.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you all need a break maybe take a week or 2 off to just do fun stuff & rejuvenate! Realize that there will always be miscommunications that can turn in to fighting no matter if you are homeschooling or not. I believe children fight less when homeschooled because they don't have the school mentality that anyone not their age is either inferior or superior to them.  

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

do you know why they are fighting with each other?

play more games, its gona take a bit of time for the kids to get use to being together now that your hsing, when mine would fight i had them share a room together, ( oldest and youngest dd) they are best friends now!) they worked it out

what about having the kids help each other, each day they can have a different brother or sisster to help? take a break for a week!! are you a all year homeschooler or summers off homeschooler?

you could also have a certain area for each child to work in

go on some nature hikes

how long a day do you homeschool?

go to the library

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM
They fight over toys mostly or what they are going to play.

The kids helping each other may help. We will be taking the summer off.

It takes about 4 hours to do our work each day.

Quoting oredeb:

do you know why they are fighting with each other?

play more games, its gona take a bit of time for the kids to get use to being together now that your hsing, when mine would fight i had them share a room together, ( oldest and youngest dd) they are best friends now!) they worked it out

what about having the kids help each other, each day they can have a different brother or sisster to help? take a break for a week!! are you a all year homeschooler or summers off homeschooler?

you could also have a certain area for each child to work in

go on some nature hikes

how long a day do you homeschool?

go to the library

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Thanks ladies!
oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

another thing i do is have them pay for arguing with each other,  25 cents each time from any of them that is arguing. they also have to earn the money

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh this sounds like my first year.

I want to clobber the lot of them. Daniel came home to kids in chairs in corners and me crying many times. I didn't know then but I honestly didn't know the kids or myself very well. I thought I did. I knew them according to everyone else's standards. 

I always suggest that people follow their instincts but sometimes we are hearing our fears first. You have months before you have to even worry about this. Kids can easily be enrolled into schools in just 24 hours. I learned that as a foster parent. 

Take this time to get to know your kids on a different level. I know that sounds odd but it can be very enlightening.

One day I decided that if this isn't working then why not flip it on its head and see what happens. It's not like it could be any worse than the four kids screaming, biting, and very honestly peeing on each other. Yeah my son did that one a few times. Oh I wanted to hang him from the elm by his big toes. 

I woke one morning to have tea and put on some yoga pants and my favorite sweater. I told the kids to show me what they wanted to do.  We went to the library and then a cemetary. We walked to the grocery store down the road and had lunch at the picnic table outside with a couple of baggers on their break. We walked to a golf course and looked for lost balls and then went to have dinner which was PB&J sandwiches and apple sauce while watching Food Network on the sofa bed. They fell asleep there .... even the baby. I left them. It was my first good day.

A big thing about homeschooling children who were in public school is deschooling. You have to get to know them again and you and how they truly need to be taught. Relax ..... recharge .... rebuild. It starts with being able to breath and laugh and even dance. It was amazing what happened after we just relaxed. 

I will say honestly that I am a completely and totally different person than I was six years ago when I started all this. I don't even look the same. The smile is the big difference.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I can't love this enough! It really shows that we are all going through similar things trying to transition into this new way of living & learning!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh this sounds like my first year.

I want to clobber the lot of them. Daniel came home to kids in chairs in corners and me crying many times. I didn't know then but I honestly didn't know the kids or myself very well. I thought I did. I knew them according to everyone else's standards. 

I always suggest that people follow their instincts but sometimes we are hearing our fears first. You have months before you have to even worry about this. Kids can easily be enrolled into schools in just 24 hours. I learned that as a foster parent. 

Take this time to get to know your kids on a different level. I know that sounds odd but it can be very enlightening.

One day I decided that if this isn't working then why not flip it on its head and see what happens. It's not like it could be any worse than the four kids screaming, biting, and very honestly peeing on each other. Yeah my son did that one a few times. Oh I wanted to hang him from the elm by his big toes. 

I woke one morning to have tea and put on some yoga pants and my favorite sweater. I told the kids to show me what they wanted to do.  We went to the library and then a cemetary. We walked to the grocery store down the road and had lunch at the picnic table outside with a couple of baggers on their break. We walked to a golf course and looked for lost balls and then went to have dinner which was PB&J sandwiches and apple sauce while watching Food Network on the sofa bed. They fell asleep there .... even the baby. I left them. It was my first good day.

A big thing about homeschooling children who were in public school is deschooling. You have to get to know them again and you and how they truly need to be taught. Relax ..... recharge .... rebuild. It starts with being able to breath and laugh and even dance. It was amazing what happened after we just relaxed. 

I will say honestly that I am a completely and totally different person than I was six years ago when I started all this. I don't even look the same. The smile is the big difference.

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM
That sounds like a good idea.

Quoting oredeb:

another thing i do is have them pay for arguing with each other,  25 cents each time from any of them that is arguing. they also have to earn the money

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)