Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This was my first year homeschooling. I have 4 kids ages 9, 6, 2, and 5 months. I pulled my kids out of public school for many reasons. I wanted to homeschool them all the way thru 12th grade. Now I am having second thoughts and have been thinking about sending them back to school next year. We live in a small house, it's been a long winter and the kids have been fighting a lot and the baby wants me. I'm just not sure what to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Replies (11-11):
Aleshad01
by Alesha on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Thanks! It's nice to know that just because it can be difficult just starting out that it probably will get better.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh this sounds like my first year.

I want to clobber the lot of them. Daniel came home to kids in chairs in corners and me crying many times. I didn't know then but I honestly didn't know the kids or myself very well. I thought I did. I knew them according to everyone else's standards. 

I always suggest that people follow their instincts but sometimes we are hearing our fears first. You have months before you have to even worry about this. Kids can easily be enrolled into schools in just 24 hours. I learned that as a foster parent. 

Take this time to get to know your kids on a different level. I know that sounds odd but it can be very enlightening.

One day I decided that if this isn't working then why not flip it on its head and see what happens. It's not like it could be any worse than the four kids screaming, biting, and very honestly peeing on each other. Yeah my son did that one a few times. Oh I wanted to hang him from the elm by his big toes. 

I woke one morning to have tea and put on some yoga pants and my favorite sweater. I told the kids to show me what they wanted to do.  We went to the library and then a cemetary. We walked to the grocery store down the road and had lunch at the picnic table outside with a couple of baggers on their break. We walked to a golf course and looked for lost balls and then went to have dinner which was PB&J sandwiches and apple sauce while watching Food Network on the sofa bed. They fell asleep there .... even the baby. I left them. It was my first good day.

A big thing about homeschooling children who were in public school is deschooling. You have to get to know them again and you and how they truly need to be taught. Relax ..... recharge .... rebuild. It starts with being able to breath and laugh and even dance. It was amazing what happened after we just relaxed. 

I will say honestly that I am a completely and totally different person than I was six years ago when I started all this. I don't even look the same. The smile is the big difference.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)