Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I get so annoyed with sharpening pencils I have been trying to switch over to all mechanical and my kids still keep dragging these stupid #2 pencils out of the air.... So what object of homeschooling annoys you the most?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM

The thing that annoys me the most is when people feel the need to either grill your kids or convince your kids they need or want to go to "real" school...    I deal with the looks and snarkiness toward me, but I've had people get in my kids faces and want to know why they don't want to go to real school with other kids.   I admit, I got pissed at that person especially.

Momof697
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Sorry to burst your buble but I have 5 kids the only thing I can find to write with are crayons. which is really annoying.  I hope it goes better at your house. I have to take phone messages with crayons.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I just don't understand how we've gone through so many, I only have one child. I have a bucket on his desk for pencils that is usually empty or has two pencils with no points. I can't wait until he can just use a pen.

Quoting OakesMama:

I'm glad to hear someone besides me is having a pencil issue, I'm trying to find one right now! lol 

Tal0n
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Notebooks and folders.

We have metric TONS of them, but Chibi is so anal about some things it takes talking, reasoning and then yelling at her to use an old, barely used notebook for something other than what she originally used it for. *groan*

Also our electric pencil sharpner bit the dust after decades (it was my husband's before we got married) of reliable use.

Tal0n
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The other thing that REALLY annoys me is MATH.

Chibi is 13.  She can do advanced math, but because she was making silly mistakes and not really doing it properly even though she understood it, we (meaning I...because the husband shaped thing was supposed to be in charge of her math as I am dyscalculic) decided to take her back to third grade math and build her basic skills.

We use IXL, which is PERFECT for Chibi because she is such a perfectionist.  Usually we try and get her to relax about certain things, but I don't think it's a bad thing to be a perfectionist about math.  I don't want her to suffer with math the way I did after fractions. (I was a genius with fractions and only recently have I realized the link between my musical prowess and fractions...DUH)

ANYWAY.  Does anyone else remember learning about things like mean, median, mode and range in THIRD GRADE?  I mean, she's just now achieved 100% proficency in third grade math and is well into 4th grade.  But I swear, aside from the multiplication drills and word problems, ect...I don't remember third grade math being like that!  On the plus side, Chibi is very self directed and motivated.  She takes better notes than I ever did.

So what bugs me is that one of the best things about homeschooling (Chibi's ability to work at her own pace and really MASTER the skills she's after) also makes me feel judged because she is behind in math.  But to be honest?  I don't think I graduated with a better than fifth or sixth grade understanding of math, and believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying on my part.

So I would rather take it slow with Chibi and not make her feel like she MUST be at a certain point by a certain time.  I would rather she LIKE math and not dread it.  I want her to be confident, which is why we took this approach. 

But I do hate feeling judged because we decided to slow her math down.

OakesMama
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I've had the same problem here with people grilling my kids.

Quoting KrissyKC:

The thing that annoys me the most is when people feel the need to either grill your kids or convince your kids they need or want to go to "real" school...    I deal with the looks and snarkiness toward me, but I've had people get in my kids faces and want to know why they don't want to go to real school with other kids.   I admit, I got pissed at that person especially.

OakesMama
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I have 5 too and its the same deal here, I had to write a note to my husbands boss in crayon. Apparently he had a good laugh over that.

Quoting Momof697:

Sorry to burst your buble but I have 5 kids the only thing I can find to write with are crayons. which is really annoying.  I hope it goes better at your house. I have to take phone messages with crayons.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I just don't understand how we've gone through so many, I only have one child. I have a bucket on his desk for pencils that is usually empty or has two pencils with no points. I can't wait until he can just use a pen.

Quoting OakesMama:

I'm glad to hear someone besides me is having a pencil issue, I'm trying to find one right now! lol 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

The fryer ! I am going to chuck it out the window soon !

Oh and I am having a lot of trouble with my pipe cutter. I need a new one but I keep forgetting. And there is always foam bits around the house no matter how many times we clean up.

Yeah our homeschooling is different but I love it. We do culinary experience classes and classes involving live action role playing in midevil settings. The kids have to make their own weapons with plumbers pipe and foam. Oh and boogie boards. They make great shields.

OakesMama
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I had to back my boy up by a couple of years because he was lacking because of my Non-math skills. so don't feel bad, once things start working well for her she can always go as quickly as she'd like..

Quoting Tal0n:

The other thing that REALLY annoys me is MATH.

Chibi is 13.  She can do advanced math, but because she was making silly mistakes and not really doing it properly even though she understood it, we (meaning I...because the husband shaped thing was supposed to be in charge of her math as I am dyscalculic) decided to take her back to third grade math and build her basic skills.

We use IXL, which is PERFECT for Chibi because she is such a perfectionist.  Usually we try and get her to relax about certain things, but I don't think it's a bad thing to be a perfectionist about math.  I don't want her to suffer with math the way I did after fractions. (I was a genius with fractions and only recently have I realized the link between my musical prowess and fractions...DUH)

ANYWAY.  Does anyone else remember learning about things like mean, median, mode and range in THIRD GRADE?  I mean, she's just now achieved 100% proficency in third grade math and is well into 4th grade.  But I swear, aside from the multiplication drills and word problems, ect...I don't remember third grade math being like that!  On the plus side, Chibi is very self directed and motivated.  She takes better notes than I ever did.

So what bugs me is that one of the best things about homeschooling (Chibi's ability to work at her own pace and really MASTER the skills she's after) also makes me feel judged because she is behind in math.  But to be honest?  I don't think I graduated with a better than fifth or sixth grade understanding of math, and believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying on my part.

So I would rather take it slow with Chibi and not make her feel like she MUST be at a certain point by a certain time.  I would rather she LIKE math and not dread it.  I want her to be confident, which is why we took this approach. 

But I do hate feeling judged because we decided to slow her math down.

drip
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I would rather have "pencil issues" than the issues I have around the computer....anna

DG123
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We have an amazing electric pencil sharpener!  I love using it, haha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN