Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you correct spelling?

Posted by   + Show Post
When the subject isn't spelling, do you make them go back and correct? Do you have them write the misspelled word so many times? I can't decide how I want to do this with Cole.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-15):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM

For me, it depends on the purpose.   What am I wanting to get out of what we are doing.  

If the goal is to produce a nicely written paper with proper grammar, punct., spelling, etc... Then yes, I actually circle it when I'm proofing their paper.    I have them correct it (look it up) themselves.

If the goal is to learn about their science topic, I just correct the word myself and pay more attention to content than spelling...  However, if it's way off, I might point it out extra.

If it's spelling words, yes... then, they def write them.

I guess I pay more attention to the point of the assignment.   I don't want to side track the learning about whatever science topic we are exploring by focusing too much on spelling and mechanics.

amandae21
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I believe that spelling is best learned outside of curriculum... in real life application. DD is starting a blog. She will use spell check. After correcting the same word a few times, she'll remember how to spell it correctly. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I personally could agree with this, but my eldest two LOVE spelling words.   I think it's what's left over from their public school days.   They seem to enjoy doing a few things "like school"...   Just not everything.   If I don't plan a spelling curriculum they will ask me why.

Quoting amandae21:

I believe that spelling is best learned outside of curriculum... in real life application. DD is starting a blog. She will use spell check. After correcting the same word a few times, she'll remember how to spell it correctly. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM
This..

Quoting KrissyKC:

For me, it depends on the purpose.   What am I wanting to get out of what we are doing.  

If the goal is to produce a nicely written paper with proper grammar, punct., spelling, etc... Then yes, I actually circle it when I'm proofing their paper.    I have them correct it (look it up) themselves.

If the goal is to learn about their science topic, I just correct the word myself and pay more attention to content than spelling...  However, if it's way off, I might point it out extra.

If it's spelling words, yes... then, they def write them.

I guess I pay more attention to the point of the assignment.   I don't want to side track the learning about whatever science topic we are exploring by focusing too much on spelling and mechanics.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Oh we do spelling too... DD likes it from PS days too lol.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I personally could agree with this, but my eldest two LOVE spelling words.   I think it's what's left over from their public school days.   They seem to enjoy doing a few things "like school"...   Just not everything.   If I don't plan a spelling curriculum they will ask me why.

Quoting amandae21:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)