Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I finally got a call back form the school about the state test for both my girls. They actually said that my daughter can go in and take the test with the other kids for the 3 days or she can go in on friday and take all the parts of the tests- ELA and Math. They have always given her the state test from the past year so this is new. My daughter does not want to go in at all. I know the director won't think there is anything wrong with her coming in if I tell her that. I would like to do the narritive but I'm not sure if I can do that every year or just every other year. My daughter took the state test at the school last year for 4th grade. I read the NYHEN that was posted on here, and it just states that the narritive can only be done every other year so does that mean that she has to take the test the other years? Does anyone know of a number I can call to ask some questions?
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Replies (21-21):
blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I do. I think I'll start asking now and get ready for next year.

Quoting mem82:

In Ohio, it has the same other qualified person clause and we have people that also feel that they fit that role. I am with you blue. It is pretty clear that the parent isn't supposed to do it. Do you have a friend with a degree that could give the test?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

This is why I hate writing back and forth. Texting too, no one can tell how you are coming across. I am not arguing not at all. I need to get my point across, I just want to get it straight that's all. Like I said I get one person telling me one thing then I read that part about the certified teacher or whatever and I am not sure how to take any of it. My school district has been very nice, so far. They have not contacted me unless my quarterly reports are late and they usually send a post card telling me so (has happened twice in 3 years), and probably wouldn't contact me about the test but me being me want to make sure I'm following the rules so nothing comes back on me.  I want to make sure so when I tell them that I don't want my girls taking the state test and they tell me they have to I can say no they don't have to and know that I'm right... that's all. 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I consider myself the "another qualified person".  I don't even mention who's administering the test, I just report the score at the end of my narrative annual assessment.  I've had no problem -ever - and I've given 4 tests already over the years.  

You come here to ask for advice, then argue every single point.  You won't be happy until you hear that your kids have no choice but to take the tests at the school.  Bring this question up on NY-HEN.  They can handle any of your arguments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN