Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I finally got a call back form the school about the state test for both my girls. They actually said that my daughter can go in and take the test with the other kids for the 3 days or she can go in on friday and take all the parts of the tests- ELA and Math. They have always given her the state test from the past year so this is new. My daughter does not want to go in at all. I know the director won't think there is anything wrong with her coming in if I tell her that. I would like to do the narritive but I'm not sure if I can do that every year or just every other year. My daughter took the state test at the school last year for 4th grade. I read the NYHEN that was posted on here, and it just states that the narritive can only be done every other year so does that mean that she has to take the test the other years? Does anyone know of a number I can call to ask some questions?
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I'm going to look into that test. My daughter doesn't mind going to the school but why should she have to if she doesn't really have to right.   When I call the school back I want to make sure I have all the information, I don't want to sound dumb or like I don't know what I'm talking about. They seem like they would tell me what I have to do no matter if it's the right way or not, it would just be the easiest way for them not for me or my child. I know that if I didn't contact them about the test they wouldn't have called me, last year either. I know a home school family that has 3 boys who have never been tested, (the school has never contacted them about testing either) the mother has never sent in a narrative either. The oldest is in 9th grade. 

So I just want to get this straight. Testing is every other year 4-8. Do I have to send in a narritive for the  years in between? Or do nothing for those years?  I know I've read that the test (like the CAT) has to be given by a certified teacher that the school approves of....right?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

You don't have to test this year and you certainly don't have to take any tests at the school.  If she's currently in 5th grade, you can test in 6th and 8th grades.  If you'd like to administer a test at home this year, since she'll be fresh out of school and it's what she's still used to, then she wouldn't have to take another test until 7th grade.  (I like the CAT-E, it's $25, and takes about 2 hours.  The testing company sends you everything, you send it back, they grade it, and they send you a results sheet with percentiles and stanines for each section, along with an overall percentile).

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Why are you calling the school?  Once you are officially homeschooling (you sent your LOI) you don't have to contact the school at all anymore - just the superintendent or district office.   And the best thing to do is keep all correspondence by mail only.  as far as your friend and her family who does not test or report, that is against the law and she may eventually run into some problems with that.  

Testing is every other year between 4th & 8th grades.  It is EVERY year from 9th-12th grades.  Send your narrative on the off-years.  You can use the CAT-E up to 12th grade.  Also, don't forget your quarterly reports.  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm going to look into that test. My daughter doesn't mind going to the school but why should she have to if she doesn't really have to right.   When I call the school back I want to make sure I have all the information, I don't want to sound dumb or like I don't know what I'm talking about. They seem like they would tell me what I have to do no matter if it's the right way or not, it would just be the easiest way for them not for me or my child. I know that if I didn't contact them about the test they wouldn't have called me, last year either. I know a home school family that has 3 boys who have never been tested, (the school has never contacted them about testing either) the mother has never sent in a narrative either. The oldest is in 9th grade. 

So I just want to get this straight. Testing is every other year 4-8. Do I have to send in a narritive for the  years in between? Or do nothing for those years?  I know I've read that the test (like the CAT) has to be given by a certified teacher that the school approves of....right?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

You don't have to test this year and you certainly don't have to take any tests at the school.  If she's currently in 5th grade, you can test in 6th and 8th grades.  If you'd like to administer a test at home this year, since she'll be fresh out of school and it's what she's still used to, then she wouldn't have to take another test until 7th grade.  (I like the CAT-E, it's $25, and takes about 2 hours.  The testing company sends you everything, you send it back, they grade it, and they send you a results sheet with percentiles and stanines for each section, along with an overall percentile).

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I know it's just the curriculum director I have to have contact with but I don't even want to have to do that or even have to send in the quarterly reports. I wish I live in a less strict state!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Why are you calling the school?  Once you are officially homeschooling (you sent your LOI) you don't have to contact the school at all anymore - just the superintendent or district office.   And the best thing to do is keep all correspondence by mail only.  as far as your friend and her family who does not test or report, that is against the law and she may eventually run into some problems with that.  

Testing is every other year between 4th & 8th grades.  It is EVERY year from 9th-12th grades.  Send your narrative on the off-years.  You can use the CAT-E up to 12th grade.  Also, don't forget your quarterly reports.  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM

You do not have to speak to a "curriculum director".  There is no such thing.  The school is trying to continue controlling you and your daughter with this fake nonsense.  I hear this so often.  The school has no right to say a word about what you do.  Break ties with the school completely.  There is no where in NY State homeschooling regulations that even mentions a curriculum director or ever having to deal with the school.  You can homeschool HOWEVER you like with WHATEVER resources you want.   I live in NY and have been homeschooling for 9 years.  Don't answer their calls anymore, keep everything in writing, and if they give you a hard time then ask them to show you where in the regs that their services are required.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I know it's just the curriculum director I have to have contact with but I don't even want to have to do that or even have to send in the quarterly reports. I wish I live in a less strict state!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
The curriculum director for the school is who I'm talking about, she takes care of the home schooling stuff. They have been very nice actually. Last year I had to contact them so my daughter could take the state test. I didn't want it to come back on me I wanted to make sure she took the test when she was suppose to so no one could say I wasn't doing what I was suppose to do. It took her weeks to get back to me to set up a date to bring my daughter in. If she doesn't contact me about the test then what should I do? I know that I will be buying the CAT-E test from now on but it has to be given by someone they approve of I can't give it to my own child. So there again I have to contact them to make sure...
Quoting NYCitymomx3:

You do not have to speak to a "curriculum director".  There is no such thing.  The school is trying to continue controlling you and your daughter with this fake nonsense.  I hear this so often.  The school has no right to say a word about what you do.  Break ties with the school completely.  There is no where in NY State homeschooling regulations that even mentions a curriculum director or ever having to deal with the school.  You can homeschool HOWEVER you like with WHATEVER resources you want.   I live in NY and have been homeschooling for 9 years.  Don't answer their calls anymore, keep everything in writing, and if they give you a hard time then ask them to show you where in the regs that their services are required.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM

You seem to be doing things way differently than all other NY homeschoolers.  I suggest bringing this up to the NY-HEN yahoo group and see what they say.  I administer the test myself (or have a teacher friend do it) and I write a sentence about on my annual assessment.  I never contact a school, any correspondence is done in writing, and I don't allow anyone to tell me what I can or cannot do since the NY regulations lay it out specifically.    Whatever school you are dealing with is asking way too much of you and I feel you are being taken advantage of.  Most schools and even superintendents make up their own interpretations of the regs.  Good luck.  I feel like I'm going in circles with you.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

The curriculum director for the school is who I'm talking about, she takes care of the home schooling stuff. They have been very nice actually. Last year I had to contact them so my daughter could take the state test. I didn't want it to come back on me I wanted to make sure she took the test when she was suppose to so no one could say I wasn't doing what I was suppose to do. It took her weeks to get back to me to set up a date to bring my daughter in. If she doesn't contact me about the test then what should I do? I know that I will be buying the CAT-E test from now on but it has to be given by someone they approve of I can't give it to my own child. So there again I have to contact them to make sure...
Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM

h. Annual assessment. At the time of filing the fourth quarterly report as specified in 

the IHIP, the parent shall also file an annual assessment in accordance with this 

subdivision. The annual assessment shall include the results of a commercially 

published norm referenced achievement test which meets the requirements of 

paragraph (1) of this subdivision, or an alternative form of evaluation which 

meets the requirements of paragraph (2) ofthis subdivision. 

I. Commercially published norm-referenced achievement tests. 

1. The test shall be selected by the parent from one of the following: 

the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, the California Achievement Test, the 

Stanford Achievement Test, the Comprehensive Test of Basic 

Skills, the Metropolitan Achievement Test, a State Education 

Department test, or another test approved by the State Education 

Department. 

IL The test shall be administered in accordance with one of the 

following options, to be selected by the parents: 

a. at the public school, by its professional staff; 

b. at a registered nonpublic school, by its professional staff, 

provided that the consent of the chief school officer of the 

nonpublic school is obtained; 

c. at a nonregistered nonpublic school, by its professional 

staff, provided that the consent of the superintendent of 

schools of the school district and of the chief school officer 

of the nonpublic school is obtained; or 

d. at the parents' home or at any other reasonable location, by 

a New York State- certified teacher or by another qualified 

person, provided that the superintendent has consented to 

having said certified teacher or other person administer the 

test

That's where I get it from. One person tells me that I can give the test and then this states that I have a few options but I can not give the test to my child I have to have a certified teacher give the test.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I consider myself the "another qualified person".  I don't even mention who's administering the test, I just report the score at the end of my narrative annual assessment.  I've had no problem -ever - and I've given 4 tests already over the years.  

You come here to ask for advice, then argue every single point.  You won't be happy until you hear that your kids have no choice but to take the tests at the school.  Bring this question up on NY-HEN.  They can handle any of your arguments.

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

This is why I hate writing back and forth. Texting too, no one can tell how you are coming across. I am not arguing not at all. I need to get my point across, I just want to get it straight that's all. Like I said I get one person telling me one thing then I read that part about the certified teacher or whatever and I am not sure how to take any of it. My school district has been very nice, so far. They have not contacted me unless my quarterly reports are late and they usually send a post card telling me so (has happened twice in 3 years), and probably wouldn't contact me about the test but me being me want to make sure I'm following the rules so nothing comes back on me.  I want to make sure so when I tell them that I don't want my girls taking the state test and they tell me they have to I can say no they don't have to and know that I'm right... that's all. 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I consider myself the "another qualified person".  I don't even mention who's administering the test, I just report the score at the end of my narrative annual assessment.  I've had no problem -ever - and I've given 4 tests already over the years.  

You come here to ask for advice, then argue every single point.  You won't be happy until you hear that your kids have no choice but to take the tests at the school.  Bring this question up on NY-HEN.  They can handle any of your arguments.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
In Ohio, it has the same other qualified person clause and we have people that also feel that they fit that role. I am with you blue. It is pretty clear that the parent isn't supposed to do it. Do you have a friend with a degree that could give the test?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

This is why I hate writing back and forth. Texting too, no one can tell how you are coming across. I am not arguing not at all. I need to get my point across, I just want to get it straight that's all. Like I said I get one person telling me one thing then I read that part about the certified teacher or whatever and I am not sure how to take any of it. My school district has been very nice, so far. They have not contacted me unless my quarterly reports are late and they usually send a post card telling me so (has happened twice in 3 years), and probably wouldn't contact me about the test but me being me want to make sure I'm following the rules so nothing comes back on me.  I want to make sure so when I tell them that I don't want my girls taking the state test and they tell me they have to I can say no they don't have to and know that I'm right... that's all. 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)