Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Wife Swap last night

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 44 Replies

Did anyone else watch it and if so how do you think it will affect the way people think of homeschooling? 

I worry about it because I know that my family thinks that is what we do and I do not unschool to that extreme.  I just add some of the principles in around our curriculum and will drop one thing to follow thier interest if they are bored.

I could not believe the mom from San Diego, but to each thier own.

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kttycat84
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Was it new or a re-run? I missed it :(

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I missed it too!  I wonder if I can see it online.  Was it a re-run, because I remember an extreme unschooler on that show many years ago. 

KaylasMama11
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

i watched one last night was it the weird white family who were rasta faris lol

Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I watched just WOW!! As far as the unschooling I felt that was a huge jump to what most parents do, I've been really thinking of unschooling to a degree. But that was more of a lifestyle extreme imo then just unschooling. As for the other mom she really needs a better life check, her house is like no kids exist. My dad was in the military, our inside house always looked worse then the outside meaning 6 kids helped clean the house but we could decorate our bedrooms and the house looked lived in not what that other mom had. Also in middle school my mom did unschooling I learned three years more by being unschooled then I did in public school. My brother who is ADD needed the structure of school, each child is different. As for the girl who is 12 and hasn't read a book yet, I didn't understand reading a book to myself till 12/13 but I did know words, I sort of feel like the unschooling mom is letting her child down. But to each there own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM

hi debra, i seen part of that one(didnt even know they had the wife swap still on) i thought it might give unschooling/homeschooling a bad name , so i didnt finsh watching it, i knew it would make mad! that lady that went to the hsers house was to much for me, now that was only in the begining  seen it so i dont know whaat happen in the rest of it

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I do not watch much tv. I especially avoid "dramatized programming". It seems to rarely be positive and only serves the purpose of ignorance. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Quoting rsrangel:

I missed it too!  I wonder if I can see it online.  Was it a re-run, because I remember an extreme unschooler on that show many years ago. 

Its on Hulu.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:15 AM

That was it.

Quoting KaylasMama11:

i watched one last night was it the weird white family who were rasta faris lol

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I thought so to.  I may not really agree with the way things went at both homes.  But maybe the girl had a learning disability.  But what really made me mad was that the mom from San Diego went home and made her dd take everything down and did not listen one bit. 

Quoting Bookoholic:

I watched just WOW!! As far as the unschooling I felt that was a huge jump to what most parents do, I've been really thinking of unschooling to a degree. But that was more of a lifestyle extreme imo then just unschooling. As for the other mom she really needs a better life check, her house is like no kids exist. My dad was in the military, our inside house always looked worse then the outside meaning 6 kids helped clean the house but we could decorate our bedrooms and the house looked lived in not what that other mom had. Also in middle school my mom did unschooling I learned three years more by being unschooled then I did in public school. My brother who is ADD needed the structure of school, each child is different. As for the girl who is 12 and hasn't read a book yet, I didn't understand reading a book to myself till 12/13 but I did know words, I sort of feel like the unschooling mom is letting her child down. But to each there own.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I only watched it because someone on facebook was talking about it.  I wanted to know what they saw so I could respond well.

Quoting oredeb:

hi debra, i seen part of that one(didnt even know they had the wife swap still on) i thought it might give unschooling/homeschooling a bad name , so i didnt finsh watching it, i knew it would make mad! that lady that went to the hsers house was to much for me, now that was only in the begining  seen it so i dont know whaat happen in the rest of it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN