Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool vs public

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM
  • 12 Replies
If your child went to public school previously, how did they adapt to homeschooling? Do they like it better than public schools or do they want to go back to public schools? If they did, would you let them or keep going with the homeschool and try something different?

My son has days where he likes it and days where he doesn't. I think he mainly don't like it because he misses his friends. I can't find any close homeschool groups and I've emailed the closest one and have yet to hear back... I'm not sure what to do. Personally I like homeschooling and think he has done a lot better. I just need some ideas and advice I guess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:42 AM

My dd was in public school until 4th grade. She was always sad or sick. Then things got really bad and I pulled her out of public school and started homeschooling, against everyone in my family. She LOVES homeschooling. My family now sees what a wonderful thing I have done for her and how far she has come. When we go out places, she will say "isn't it great homeschooling, we can do whatever we want". I think she does miss friends, but she has the ability to have them come over on the weekends, we have sleepovers or just play time. We also go to our homeschool playgroup about once a week (if we don't have other plans)

How old is your son? Maybe ask him what kinds of things would he like to do.  My dd loves museums (I know my kids are a little weird.  LOL). She loves taking photos (she has her own webpages), so we go out a lot to take photos. We go hiking a lot too. I guess people say we are more of the unschooling type.  Very hands on, going out and doing things.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM

The only thing my daughter misses from public school is "making friends".  She wants to go back for that reason alone...and if it is only that reason, she will never go back. Too many people convinced her school is where you make friends only. All other activities and neighbors don't count... *sigh*. We'll see how her attitude towards making friends changes as she gets older in the mean time.  Other than that she loves homeschooling.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My daughter hated public school mostly.   There were things she remembers that she liked about it, but otherwise... she is happier with HSing.

My son only went to KG and he remembers some fun things, but he prefers being home as well. 

However, we had one rough year financially and more that caused them both to grumble and complain.   They were unhappy with a move to the country and attending a small church with no groups available to be in.   I relented and put them in scouting and sports (sports is fine, but I'm not fond of girl scouts in particular)... just to give them some socoal outtings.

We relocated again 11 months later, and now they are starting to be happy again because there are children in our neighborhood to play with, a bigger church we go to with lots of kids programs, a homeschool group we belong to...

So, yeah, I'm learning that kids do need to be involved in stuff outside the family.   However, the family is the foundation of their social lives.... they don't get to participate in stuff outside if they cause problems at home.

LilrockerMama
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM
My son is 8 he loves museums too. He wants to be a paleontologist. There aren't any close museums though and right now finances are tight and I'm finishing nursing school.., all he wants to do is talk about the civil war, so we did a pretty big civil war project that he loved... He plays outside with some neighbors. I don't have any way to contact his old friends unless I go to the school and see if I can do something but most of the parents are somewhat snobby and look down at me because I'm so young.

Quoting leighp1:

My dd was in public school until 4th grade. She was always sad or sick. Then things got really bad and I pulled her out of public school and started homeschooling, against everyone in my family. She LOVES homeschooling. My family now sees what a wonderful thing I have done for her and how far she has come. When we go out places, she will say "isn't it great homeschooling, we can do whatever we want". I think she does miss friends, but she has the ability to have them come over on the weekends, we have sleepovers or just play time. We also go to our homeschool playgroup about once a week (if we don't have other plans)

How old is your son? Maybe ask him what kinds of things would he like to do.  My dd loves museums (I know my kids are a little weird.  LOL). She loves taking photos (she has her own webpages), so we go out a lot to take photos. We go hiking a lot too. I guess people say we are more of the unschooling type.  Very hands on, going out and doing things.

leighp1
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I know about parents being "snobby". I deal with that a lot here.  There isn't a high amount of people that HS, so they think my daughter just runs wild. 

Have you and your son seen this website? It's all Civil War.  We did the lesson plans they have there.  It kept my dd interested and was real easy to follow along with.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

My son is 8 he loves museums too. He wants to be a paleontologist. There aren't any close museums though and right now finances are tight and I'm finishing nursing school.., all he wants to do is talk about the civil war, so we did a pretty big civil war project that he loved... He plays outside with some neighbors. I don't have any way to contact his old friends unless I go to the school and see if I can do something but most of the parents are somewhat snobby and look down at me because I'm so young.

Quoting leighp1:

LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I'm not HSing yet... I plan to after this school year is out. My girls are very outgoing and social and don't have a problem making friends. Their biggest fear was not being able to see their best friends. I reassured them that we have their phone numbers and I'm friends with their moms on facebook, so we won't lose contact with them. But, they're ready because of all the crap they have to go through with kids that aren't their friends... some kids are cruel especially when they have all these social pressures and competition with each other. With all that and schooling and testing, I don't see how they learn anything!

LilrockerMama
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
No I haven't tried that site but I definitely will! Thank you! Before I homeschooled they would just exclude me from stuff during functions, they are all older or the same age and probably went to school together it's such a small town... Thank you for the link I'm excited to try it out! =)

Quoting leighp1:

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My older ones were in public school many years ago (20) before I heard of homeschool.  At first they wanted to go back but I let them know it was never, ever going to happen.  I was the parent and knew what was best. Period.  They  later admitted they were glad that I stood my ground.  One (of the two oldest that attended school) became a manager of a grocery store at the age of 17 (which he couldn't have done if he was in public school because he would have been in school) and the other began college at the age of 16 as he finished school by then :-) 

CJsMommy040506
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Do you mind if I ask how you're managing your school and homeschool? We're beginning homeschooling after this school year and I want to continue college myself. There is a college in my town that has a part time nursing program (2 nights with weekend clinicals) but we're moving 30-40 mins away this summer and that school is expensive, probably 20k a year. The degree I really want would be at a college 40 mins away, the classes are during the day. My hubby works a regular day job, and I can't expect him earlier than 6 to watch the kids. I may have to wait until they're a lot older to finish.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Quoting leighp1:

LilrockerMama
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I just started homeschooling in January so I'm still trying to figure it out! Luckily my school lets me bring my son to class sometimes and I just keep him in the lab with his work and sit and do mine with him. Sometimes I would send him to daycare with my daughter and send his work with him and tell him to do what he could. My class lets out at four so I would go get him and then we would finish everything... Also I'm in a self directed program, I only have to have 24 hours a week and can come and go as I please as long as I meet my monthly contract. My mother in law is going to start staying during the week to keep the kids and I'm just trying to get everything planned and in daily folders and when I get home I will do whatever he needs help with... As far as my homework and studying goes, I've been really lucky and haven't needed to spend a lot of time studying, I had all my prereqs done and been working in a hospital for 5 years so a lot of it was just really easy. I generally wait until the kids are in bed to do what I need to do and sometimes my husband will keep them occupied while I lock myself away, lol. It's not easy and I'm not an organized person so I'm trying to master organization and everything all together. My school is in my town, but I have drove 45+ minutes to get to another college and I've been a single mom in college and working full time. Just figure out what could work for you and how you could rearrange things. It's not a forever situation. I hope I answered your question, good luck!

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Do you mind if I ask how you're managing your school and homeschool? We're beginning homeschooling after this school year and I want to continue college myself. There is a college in my town that has a part time nursing program (2 nights with weekend clinicals) but we're moving 30-40 mins away this summer and that school is expensive, probably 20k a year. The degree I really want would be at a college 40 mins away, the classes are during the day. My hubby works a regular day job, and I can't expect him earlier than 6 to watch the kids. I may have to wait until they're a lot older to finish.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Quoting leighp1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN