Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to HS

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 10 Replies
My son will finish K in 8 weeks. My dd will finish pre-k in 6 weeks. What can I do to prepare myself for "teaching" them? What basics will I need to teach? My ds can read on a first grade level. My dd cannot. I have so many questions and I am a little unsure of myself being able to do this effectively. Any and all suggestions, tips and advice are truly appreciated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kat0038
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Get to the library and find books on homeschooling. Find a local support group. Attend a homeschool convention. And find out what your states homeschool laws are. What state do you live in? 

trendy2
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

We will actually be moving around.  Probably once a year due to my DH work.  We are currently in NC.  I know that here we don't have to start HS until the child is 7.  We are moving to VA in June/July for a couple of months then not sure where we will go.  I just need to know basically what I should teach.  What programs/cirriculum I need to use?  Seems overwhelming...Like what suggestions for teaching my daughter to read?  This petrifies me!  What if I can't?!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM

welcome trendy 2.

My children are grown, and became home school moms themselves.  I still am a  home school workshop leader, and a tutor specializing in reading.  My method works so well that three college professors now ask me to teach their students (future teachers my method. 

In my home school workshops, I always ask the newbies who fear they won't be able to teach reading,  if they can read.  When they say, "Yes", I tell them, "then you can teach your child to read.  With a little information and the right tools it is very easy. "

Hear Phonic Sounds Free.   ( Computer games are great, because they are whole brain teaching.  But not for phonics, because they teach some of the phonic sounds incorrectly making it hard for many children to blend the sounds to form words.  So it is important that you,  the educator, teach the sounds making sure they are pronouncing them correctly).

This Sight explains my method which is whole brain teaching. The children learn their first 8 sounds, and they read their first book. They learn 6 more, and they read their next book...so on and so on. .

State Laws And Which State Laws To Follow If You Are Moving

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM

welcome!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

As far as preparing them or yourself, I would start with a good morning routine and a good bedtime routine. As you lead into homeschooling it is easy to build on an already established pattern. Ex: Teach them to get up, dressed, breakfast, morning chore...and then week 1 add in calendar time. week 2 add a math game or worksheet after calendar. so on and so forth.

It really makes the transition to teacher mommy easier on everyone. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM

For beginning readers, I suggest starting to point out letters and make their sounds. Make it a game. Also, label things around the house (chair, stove) so that she will gain vocabulary without even really trying.

oredeb
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

welcome trendy!!

to prepare have lots of arts and crafts stuff available, lots of paper, pencils, erasers, patience, and love!!!!

trendy2
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

What is calendar time?

Quoting mem82:

As far as preparing them or yourself, I would start with a good morning routine and a good bedtime routine. As you lead into homeschooling it is easy to build on an already established pattern. Ex: Teach them to get up, dressed, breakfast, morning chore...and then week 1 add in calendar time. week 2 add a math game or worksheet after calendar. so on and so forth.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It's like circle time or morning meeting. You usually do the calendar ie: What day is it, was it, will it be tomorrow. The weather, the season, number or letter or the day. You can do your sight words or maybe math facts for the week. Some people sing or pray during it, too. You can do anything you want, but it helps shift everyone into *education time mode*. LOL Some people do foreign language quick lessons. You can practice state capitals or your address and phone number. Anything you want. It is usually quick, some just do 10 minutes, some people do it for a half an hour.

Quoting trendy2:

What is calendar time?

Quoting mem82:

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN