Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Documentaries

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

So the kid and I have really enjoyed watching documentaries lately. So much so that I am going to add it to our schedule. I really love them for history/geography/science. 

I've been searching Amazon for hours trying to find new ones. Which documentaries do you recommend that you have seen? (Any subjects.)

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We're hooked to this but I am not sure if you already watched them. Here's the link to "Men Who Built America" http://www.history.com/shows/men-who-built-america

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

America: The Story of Us It's a series which is nice, because you can just watch one if you're covering a certain aspect of American history. They move quickly and don't get boring with going too in-depth, so good for kids (and adults with short attention spans!).

How The Universe Works (on Amazon) We just started this one since we are in a new science unit. It's fascinating! Did you know we all have the ingredients of stars in our bodies!? I learned so much.

National Geographic: Amazing Planet (Netflix) We watched this when our son was really interested in mountains. (also Everest: Beyond the Limit)

Lewis & Clark: Great Journey West (Netflix) We watched this over a 2 week period (it's 3 hours long so we watched about 15-20 min per day) along with reading a book. The kids kept unit study books to take notes and draw in. It was really a great study.

Lately we've been watching Discovery Atlas (also Netflix). There are only 4 episodes but each is like 2 hours long. We've watched the China one and the Australia one. They are really well done, and narrated by famous actors (Russell Crowe does the Australia one and my kids were like, hey! that's Javert!).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

What a great idea! We've watched several but of course, none of the names come to mind.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Blue Planet

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM

We watch a lot of them!  Probably too many lol. You can search history on Netflix and there are TONS!

BabyFruit Ticker

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Slightly off topic, and not a documentary, however, TED talks are pretty good. They are online and on Netflix. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN