Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Great audiobooks for long car trips?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

Needing advice on great audio books to listen to as a family. We'll be taking a 10 hour drive on Wed (with a 10 hour return trip on Sunday) - 3 adults, and kids ages 10, 7, and 6.

Last summer we really enjoyed the Ramona books read by Stockard Channing, so we'll get a couple of those again - but they are short and will only pass an hour or two.

Suggestions? Both the book AND the narration need to be good (because I can't bear to listen to the narrated Harry Potters, though my kids love the books and movies - we just don't like the guy's voice).

TIA!

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM

The BBC full-cast version of Lord of the Rings is amazing. And almost 18 hours long, so it'll last the whole trip.

We also enjoyed The Golden Compass, also a BBC production.

I like to listen to mysteries - Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers, Ngaio Marsh. They're classics.

Have your browsed your library selection?

1LovelyAngel
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM

BUMP!

1LovelyAngel
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I can't wait until people post, because I will like to get some really good ones to
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Would Harry Potter be too long?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Any of the Little House Books

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM

The Magic Tree House books

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The Spiderwick Chronicles (My youngest who was 5y/o at the time, loved this when we listened to it on a long trip) Mark Hamill reads it & he dose different  voices for different characters. All of us (that's 3 adults & 7 & 5y/o) Loved listening to all of the books.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM
We are big fans of Adventures in Odyssey.
I didn't know you can get the Ramona Books on audio..going to have to check that out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahNElijah
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Mouse and the Motorcycle series was a fun audiobook! I don't remember who the narrator was though.. :-/ We borrowed it from the library.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahNElijah
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Another thing my kids love is Peter and the Wolf narrated by Leonard Bernstein! It is a story and orchestral piece.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)