Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The 25 Books Every Kid Should Have on Their Bookshelf

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
BJ
  • 19 Replies

We own only 9 of the books on the list & I didn't even know some of the books on it. You can read the list here

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BookMama3
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Bump so I can look at it when I'm not mobile.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I've only heard of about 11 of those, and only read about 6 of them. And I was considered an advanced, voracious reader at a very early age. How is it that I have missed most of these?  And as much time as I spend in libraries, I'm kind of confused as to how I've never even seen some of these. Maybe those aren't the most important books after all. Hmm.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I got the website to finally work on my iPad... I have read all but 7 of them. Lizard Music, I capture the castle, the pushcart war, the sweetest fig, wizard of earth sea, half magic, the phantom tollbooth - I have neither read or heard of till now. I was not a voracious reader as a child. The Little Prince is my all time favorite! : )

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Meh. I have fifteen of those books but only a few of them are favorites of mine. The ones I haven't even heard of are the same as celticdragon77, except for The Phantom Tollbooth, which we've had bouncing around here for years. That one is a classic, IMO. I read everything I could get my hands on as a kid and young adult, and sadly, most of that was not children's literature so I missed a lot of gems growing up. However, I did my best to make it up with ODS and I've discovered some really good stories in the last nineteen years. One author I never took to, even as a kid, is Dr. Seuss. He just wears me out with silliness, and always has. LOL.
oredeb
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

uh oh we've only had 3 on our shelf!!

coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I don't own any of them and probably never will.  I have read about half of them.  We are keeping very close tabs on what the kids read and are very careful of what we expose them too.  Just b/c someone else says they are must haves doens't mean that we HAVE to expose our kids to them.  OH, BTW while on vacation my kids did read the one by Dr. Seuss.  Strange that they enjoyed reading on vacation and not at home.  LOL

A_McCool
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

We have 9 of them.   I love the Pooh stories. Though, I have learned that most people don't find them nearly as funny as I do.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM

"He respects owl, because you can't help respecting anyone who can spell Tuesday, even if he can't spell it right." -- A.A. Milne

Quoting A_McCool:

We have 9 of them.   I love the Pooh stories. Though, I have learned that most people don't find them nearly as funny as I do.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

katinahat
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Uh oh, only seven! I've read about half of them, though. As Aubs gets older, I'll have to make sure to pick these up :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

KLove_Mom
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM

wow, I looked up Pushcart War on Amazon, and it must be a collector's item because it was over $100. I'll have to see if the library has it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)