Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Organization?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
How do you organize websites, do you use a lot often, do you have them bookmarked and organized somehow that way?

Do your kids use 'agendas' or some other form of a schedule? What does that look like in your home?

Do you keep a portfolio? How do you organize that? Is it digital or a binder?

I like to be organized but I'm not, lol. I try, and I think with some things I really can be. I'm hoping I can have some organization with hsing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Many people use Evernote for websites
We don't really have a schedule for much other than meals and bedtimes.
We do main lesson books and that keeps all our work in one place.
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablessedlife
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I have tried many forms if schedules. This year what is working for me is an 8.5 x 14 sheet with a table I made on the computer. It has the days Mon to Sat (across the top) and all the subjects (down the list each day). I have made many copies, plus two-sided to save paper. Each week I fill in the work that should be done in each subject Mon to Fri. Anything not done by Fri must be done on Sat. I post one for each child. There is a space next to each subject for a check mark.

This has saved me a lot of daily prep time!

BTW, there are no time slots on this schedule. It is just a list and can be done in any order.
ablessedlife
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Instead of a portfolio, each child has two special drawers labeled "Complete" and "Incomplete." The "Complete" drawer is quite large and holds all completed work until I have time to sort thru it at the end of the year. At that time, I select what I want to keep and I make a portfolio/scrapbook for each child with sample work and photos. Where I live, there is no portfolio required.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Funny you say bedtimes...I was just sending my kids to bed thinking 'hopefully next year we won't have a bedtime' lol. Maybe a loose bedtime ;) but my DD cannot function in the morning without going to bed by 8, it will be nice if we don't have to get up and out every morning :)

Quoting Boobah:

Bump!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:06 AM
My kids thrive on schedules, and a bedtime helps our day tremendously. I love that I don't have to wake them for school anymore. But not having a bedtime wouldn't work for me. I NEED that time at night with my husband or by myself. Right now I go to bed at the same time almost unless I take the iPad to bed because I'm nursing my baby and she gets up a lot at night.
How old are your kids?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Funny you say bedtimes...I was just sending my kids to bed thinking 'hopefully next year we won't have a bedtime' lol. Maybe a loose bedtime ;) but my DD cannot function in the morning without going to bed by 8, it will be nice if we don't have to get up and out every morning :)

Quoting Boobah:

Bump!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Websites:  I have a folder on my desktop for each child wih all the websites on a word document.  That way I can print them out and take them with us when we travel  And they aren't just saved in my "favorites" which has deleted twice since I got my laptop.

Agenda:  I keep a calendar for myself with  a brief description of what needs done for each child on each particular day.  The boys have a white board where I write their assignments each morning.  As they complete the assignments they cross them off, when I have checked the assignments we erase them.

Portfolio:  Since the PA websites say we need to show 3- pieces of work for each subject I teach them, I keep a binder with our book log in it.  I put the best pieces of work for each child in them.  When they do something better or more impressive I move the other work into the file folder I keep for the year(it usually ends up as 2-3 file folders).  That way the best work is always in the binder and I don't hve to sort through all the work at the end of the year.

At the end of the year, I keep the work from the binder and a few select art pieces, the rest we throw out.  They make a book out of the stuff from the binder with a title like "my first grade year".  I usually keep a writing sample from the beginning of the year and one from the end so they can see their improvement.  We also put a few pictures of our best projects and field trips.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

At the start of our school year, I went through all the curiculum and made a loose schedule (on excel) for the year, and hyperlinked all the links we'd most likely use onto the schedule. I was able to check off all the stuff we did and didn't do, and I made it so I could drag and drop, so everything could be easily moved around with little motifying to the entire document. I'm able to print out what we're doing for each week, and we cross it off as we go so both of us know what needs to get done, and then my daughter can work ahead if she really wants to too (she hasn't yet...)
As back up, I also have a "homeschool" folder in my browser favorites, and then each subject has its own sub folder. All websites are nicknamed so I know for what lesson they fit with. If its a site I use often, it isn't in a sub folder. I go through and clean out the subfolders once a month.
I recently did a cleaning schedule since my daughter thinks I make her do "soooo much work" (she does the dishes...) so she could see what really all gets done, and she got a few more chores tacked on. These I printed out so the could be crossed out as they got done. All chores have to be done before 7:30. If they finish early, they get that many minutes extra of electronic time. If they finish late, they lose that many minutes and have to go to bed that much earlier too. Bedtime is at 8.  
My biggest problem is stcking with schedules. Our cleaning schedule has worked for maybe a week lol. Now that it's getting nicer outside, it's hard to call them in by 7 to get on their chores and in bed by 8, especially when all the other kids are out playing til 8 or 8:30... We're not changing our bedtime routine for over the summer either simply because we have to actually wake up by 6 to make it to swim practice on time. At least the things that were supposed to get done for the day are!
We have a marker board/cork board that hangs up in our kitchen/computer area. Anything for scheduling is kept there.
I do do a portfolio, but my MIL is the certified teacher who writes the narrative for us, so I just keep everything, let her go through it all, and then box it all up. I'm still trying to figure out how to organize that mess lol.

oredeb
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

organize websites: under favorites i have a file called classroom stuff that i put all my sch stuff in, and under classroom stuff i have files like lang art, histry, math, readng, phonics, preschool, handwritng, pdfs etc

schedules: the only schedule we have  is for school start at 9 and end around 12 or 1

no portfolios here

also i use book shelves for books and a file cabinet for loose papers

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
My kids are 9 and 10. Right now they read starting at 7:30 and lights out at 8 for dd and 8:15 for ds. On the weekends we have been letting them stay up if we don't have anything in the morning and it has been good, they play quietly together and then read and go to bed. They are usually in bed by 9 anyway. They don't need a lot of constant supervision so I still spend that evening time with my husband, we get a few hours alone every night, but the kids are usually around, they just don't need us much anymore lol.

Quoting Boobah:

My kids thrive on schedules, and a bedtime helps our day tremendously. I love that I don't have to wake them for school anymore. But not having a bedtime wouldn't work for me. I NEED that time at night with my husband or by myself. Right now I go to bed at the same time almost unless I take the iPad to bed because I'm nursing my baby and she gets up a lot at night.

How old are your kids?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Boobah:

Bump!

AmyG1976
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

every Sunday I write out what each kid does each day for the week,except the oldest.  I have a list of all the websites they use for what. They can start work when they are ready in a way, have to start by 10am 3rd child tends to start her school day by 7am 4th child just picked up on being done by 10am this week and started doing the same. 2ed child ehh I wake him up at 9 to eat and make bed teeth ect so he can start work by 10. oldest ehh idk starts her work and does as much as she does each day till she finds she is done. mixed in with watching her sibling and doing the kids laundry and she has a reg job as well as babysits here and there for a neighbor. I dont worry too much so long as she is mailing in some exams every week and I walk by her room and see her doing work not facebooking in the middle of the day. Each of the kids has a binder every year the work they do on paper goes into the binder in no order what so ever. I tend to keep the binders. Oldest takes care of her highschool binder. Oldest school at home program keeps her records and everything that's needed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)