Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling for the first time

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello everyone I want to know a little more about how to make the right choice when it comes to choosing a curriculum to homeschool my son he is going to be in 6th grade and he's 11 yrs. He has a LD in reading and ADHD which means I need something that would be in his level and that he will be patient with because he gets frustrated easily I'm new at this (homeschooling) and really need all the info not just curriculum if you can also share ideas and tips to make there learning fun and how to save money please post them by the way has anyone heard of k12 please let me know what you know about
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My children are now grown, but I still do home school workshops, and I am a reading tutor (K through 6th grade). I am given many children with ADHD, and who are having trouble reading.  My method has been so successful at helping children to read, that three college professors at the University Of North Florida  now ask me to teach their students what I do.  It is really very simple...anyone can do it.  Following are some things to help you help your son

• the following video explains the most common cause of children having problems reading.  I have found this common from K through 6th grade.   It is probably even higher, but I don't tutor above 6th.  I wish I could stress how important this is, and how easy it is to solve.  Nine times out of ten, this is all that is necessary to get a child reading at or above grade level.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

P.S. How To Home School will help you with legal issues, grade level requirements, methods used by home educators (many are very inexpensive) and more. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Jnyrican, I had one more thing I wanted to share with you.  One of the 6th graders who was given to me to help with his reading was diagnosed with ADHD.  The first thing he said to me was, "please don't make me read out loud in front of the other kids."  I assured him that would not happen until he felt ready.  

The first thing I did was ask him how he was pronouncing the following phonic sounds:  B,C,D,G,H,J,K,P, M and W.  He was pronouncing most of them incorrectly.  So I explained to him that was the cause of his reading problem, and taught him the correct sounds.  He was excited and very eager to learn.  Within a very short time, he was reading out loud in front of the other children.  In fact, I had to make him stop reading so as to give others a turn.  He was that excited about showing others he could read. He was able to move on to 7th grade.

P.S.  It turned out that he did not have ADHD.  He was a hands on learner.  I don't know your son well enough to say this is all you need to do with him.  But these are the first things to check out, and I provided some other possibilities. 

lilliput
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Hi, welcome to the homeschool family. First, try to find a homeschool group in your area and sign on with them. Second, check out different cirriculum and pick the one you think will work for you. If it works for you, it will be easier for you to be comfortable using it with your child. It may take a while, maybe a few months, but you will begin to see a change in your son. I took my sons a little while to get used to learning in a home environment. They were so used to the hustle bustle of the classroom. My children all became calmer,more relaxed, overtime. Two youngest are in college. One boy has been on deans list a few times. My eldest(ADD) was a different child once we started HS. Be patient with yourselves. Love will bring you through it. God bless.

oredeb
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

welcome jny!!

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

If you get the chance check this website http://www.n2y.com/ and http://www.touchmath.com/ It's pricey for us because we are homeschooling informally for now until he starts middle school (it's all out of pocket expenses). My son is also 11 years old and going to be 6th grade. The above websites are so far the best for us because he's autictic and visual learner.

Jnyrican
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Thank you all for your help I am going to look into that and I will keep you all posted on what was my outcome.
ilovemy3boys
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I have 4 children of mine I home school and also my neice. My oldest ds is 10 almost 11 and adhd as well. If you ever want to chat or compare info please message me.

Quoting Jnyrican:

Thank you all for your help I am going to look into that and I will keep you all posted on what was my outcome.

LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM
We are actually going to use K12 this coming year for my older two girls... I'm doing independent with my youngest girl (how, I don't know yet... Lol). But I plan to at least try K12 out for a little bit. After researching all of the opportunities though I'm debating whether It will be right for us. But considering that I don't have a CLUE what I'm doing I feel like it will be a good backup while I'm learning the ropes. I'm keeping an open mind about it. I do believe K12 is excellent though (from everything I've read and who I've talked to) and definitely one worth looking into.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

K12 is rather vigorous and time consuming.   Plus, I've heard they really push you if you are behind.

We only used it at the 1st grade level and we moved out of the area halfway through the year.   Where we moved to, it was no longer free.

Anyway, it's a strong program, but lots of daily work and expectations.   A friend of ours (in KG at the time) had some major issues.   Her daughter cried all the time when it was time to do work.  She even found her hiding in the toy box or other places before school.

My daughter loved it, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN