Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling for the first time

Posted by   + Show Post
Hello everyone I want to know a little more about how to make the right choice when it comes to choosing a curriculum to homeschool my son he is going to be in 6th grade and he's 11 yrs. He has a LD in reading and ADHD which means I need something that would be in his level and that he will be patient with because he gets frustrated easily I'm new at this (homeschooling) and really need all the info not just curriculum if you can also share ideas and tips to make there learning fun and how to save money please post them by the way has anyone heard of k12 please let me know what you know about
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Replies (11-13):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I didn't/don't use K12 ( I always stayed clear of anything public school) but my DIL used it this year for my grandson.  She is switching to ABeka next year.  She didn't care for it and I have heard many other people who started with it but switched because they didn't like it.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

K12 works for a certain kind of kid.  One of my dd's is that kind.  She likes to know whats coming and work on the computer and go at whatever pace they want her to go. 

My other dd would prefer more hands on and this year has dragged through the curriculum.  We are having to catch up now, its a good thing she is more advanced than the level k12 put her at.  She will finish this year and she is moving to a charter school that lets us pick out our curriculum, and work at her pace as long as she shows improvement.  I do not think we will have problems getting through thier curriculum because I can choose what to do. 

I am going to ensure her science and math cover what k12 covers in 1st grade so I can teach them together.  We will probably fall behind with my k12 dd in those because I want to make the subjects indepth. But I will not care. We will however work hard to cover all the materials. 

They will finish all thier reading and math separately though because they are at different levels.  Though I would love someone to tell me what those levels are.

As for opening post my best bet is that you may want a hands on curriculum.  My children are not quite as old as your son.  At his age with k12 it is more him working with a teacher than you I believe.  Good luck.  I know there are people who will give you awesome advice here. 

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I've tried K12 and can honestly tell you that I owuld be very surprised if it was a good fit for an 11 yr old boy who struggles in reading and has ADHD. It is too much like "school". Too many assignments, workbooks, assessments.

I think Teaching Textbooks or something similar for Math is a good way to go. http://www.teachingtextbooks.com

Or maybe Aleks

Here's some info on how we use workboxes to try and keep organized, stay on track and keep learning fun (some links at the end specific to ADHD)

http://tadpolestrailsandtrees.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-workboxes-work-in-our-house.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)