Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Confused about Florida-County law .... Did I mess up?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

I just read this on my county's school board site regarding what is required of homeschoolers:

(b) The parent shall maintain a portfolio of records and materials. The portfolio shall consist of the following:

1. A log of educational activities that is made contemporaneously with the instruction and that designates by title any reading materials used."

Does this mean I was supposed to keep a log of all of the educational activities and instruction we did? I thought Florida law only required a portfolio with work samples and a reading list. :x I do not have logs of everything we have done!  

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

BUMP!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

There are state laws, but then sometimes individual counties will have specific laws of their own. If you are reporting in that county, then you need to follow the counties laws. 

That being said. I'd double check w/ a Homeschooler in your county. As from the wording of the law, I'm not sure they want a log of ALL materials used through out the year. I think what they want is for any work in the portfolio, a list of what educational materials were used to make That sample. KWIM?

lucsch
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM

It does read like that, doesn't it?

My state does not require it, but I do it for my own sanity, I mean, record-keeping. For each week, I have a two-page planner with subjects down the left and the days of the week across the top, with page numbers and a very short assignment description. I check these  activities off as I do them. I fill these out every week or two to plan, then plan and replan as I go. I number the days across the top and date the week. In Indiana, we only have to track 180 days of school per year. Nobody ever asks to see it, but I do it anyway.

Reading this pdf of the state law, it appears not to be a county law, but a state law. Reading the whole paragraph leads me to think that the portfolio is to be made in "real-time" and it isn't necessarily everything that he did but samples along the way.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM

"a portfolio of records and materials."

Yes, it sounds like they are asking for a general list of materials studied along with some basic records.   I had to look up what contemporaneously meant...

contemporaneously

adverb
at one and the same time <Mozart was writing music contemporaneously with Haydn>
Related Words close, immediately, narrowly, near
Antonyms separately

I don't think they mean you have to keep EVERYTHING... you just have to have some record of what you are doing and how the child is doing in it.   It has to be "close" or "near to" what you are working on.

As a side note... here in MO, we are supposed to keep a daily log of hours plus a portfolio and samples of work and such...   Well, I've kept it all three years and no one has ever checked it.

PepperWillow
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for the advice you guys.

DG123
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Yes.  You must keep a log, such as a daily log, and make it available upon 15 days written notice from the school board, along with the portfolio.

Maridel
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

what county is that?! I'm in florida and I understood the same, just a general portfolio. I'm sure not keeping a log of every last thing we've done. I just keep her workbooks as a "portfolio".

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It is saying -- a log of educational activities that is made (occurring / existing / originating at the same time) with the instruction and that designates by title any reading material used.

To me, this would mean, for example, if I used the sonlight curriculum; I could not just list "sonlight curriculum". I would need to list any books it had me use and some activities they had us complete. It does not specify ALL activities need to be shared. In fact, it does not even specify which activities it wishes to be informed about. That is just my opinion tho.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

DesireMM
by Desire' on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I have done the same for the past 5 yrs. Our evaluator has never said I was doing it wrong.

Quoting Maridel:

what county is that?! I'm in florida and I understood the same, just a general portfolio. I'm sure not keeping a log of every last thing we've done. I just keep her workbooks as a "portfolio".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN