Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

praying mantises update another update again

Posted by   + Show Post

i just bought a aqurium and two praying mantis pods for a science praject. im so excited as well as my kids are too. we are gonna keep a few as pets and give away a few houndred to some gardiners but i know my kids will love watching them grow up and hatching anybody else get this excited about bugs lol 

I am absolutly pissed off right now its been a week past the time i was sopposed to get them and they have yet to even ship them out to my house. i have contacted the seller to see what is up but still no stinking response this is the second time this has happined to me ill let yo guys know if i ever get them 

So i got a letter from the seller saying he had sent it out but it had gotten lost in transit and he has no more praying mantises so im gonna buy butterflys instead for the profect and i will try again next year :( but when i get them i will continue with posting pictures of the growth and everything like that 

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (11-18):
tinkerspell
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

amazon and ebay I paid $6.50 for 2 pods that will yeild anywhere to 200-400 baby mantisis each 

Quoting Maridel:

Where can we order?

Quoting tinkerspell:

gotta do it soon they are only availale for a certian time not all year round and i think the end of april is the deadline 

Quoting JTE11:

Oh that's right up my alley, I love bugs and so does DD. I might do this as a preschool project for her...great idea!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a bunch of mantises that live around our house. When we first moved in, there were easily 6-10 that lingered around and we watch grow. A few felt comfortable enough to ...lay?... a pod on a window (not ideal for our screens, but o well) and we watched them hatch. There have been less and less around each year tho :(
It's reall neat watching them camoflauge themselves to their surroundings too

One of our tiny ones

This little one didn't get much larger and kept a red color

This one got so used to the camera, it would pop out a little or make itself seen by moving around to get its picture taken

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

tinkerspell
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM

these guys are so cute i wish they where a naturol thing here my kids are totally into bugs of all sorts 

Quoting No_Difference:

We have a bunch of mantises that live around our house. When we first moved in, there were easily 6-10 that lingered around and we watch grow. A few felt comfortable enough to ...lay?... a pod on a window (not ideal for our screens, but o well) and we watched them hatch. There have been less and less around each year tho :(

One of our tiny ones

This one got so used to the camera, it would pop out a little or make itself seen by moving around to get its picture taken

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I'm hoping we get some again this year.With how weird the weather has been, its hard to tell.  It's fun playing "Where's Waldo" with them in the garden lol.  We get other fun bugs to search for too that make summer a ton of fun lol

We don't get many of these thankfully...he kept eatting the buds off my favorite flower :(

Unforunatly I no longer have the picture of the aphid that looks identical to leaves around here or the walking stick we found. 
I'll take these bugs over ones in other states we've been in. It has become a joke about what criters/insects we'll find each time we move lol
This year we get to keep an eye out for the I believe 15 yr cicada..one of the loudest insects...yay lol

Quoting tinkerspell:

these guys are so cute i wish they where a naturol thing here my kids are totally into bugs of all sorts 

Quoting No_Difference:

One of our tiny ones

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Mealworms are interesting too because they change into beetles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Cicada's are loud but they are really pretty.  We called them June bugs back home, Tennessee.  I am now in California.  They are one of my favorites.

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm hoping we get some again this year.With how weird the weather has been, its hard to tell.  It's fun playing "Where's Waldo" with them in the garden lol.  We get other fun bugs to search for too that make summer a ton of fun lol

We don't get many of these thankfully...he kept eatting the buds off my favorite flower :(

Unforunatly I no longer have the picture of the aphid that looks identical to leaves around here or the walking stick we found. 
I'll take these bugs over ones in other states we've been in. It has become a joke about what criters/insects we'll find each time we move lol
This year we get to keep an eye out for the I believe 15 yr cicada..one of the loudest insects...yay lol

Quoting tinkerspell:

Quoting No_Difference:

One of our tiny ones

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I always knew of them as June bugs too (origianlly from Wisconsin, but are currently in West Virginia). The national parks around here had posted something about them, and I guess they're the 17 year, not 15 year cicada. And these particular ones are the loudest of them all. It'll be a noisy summer, more than previous ones apparently.

http://earthsky.org/earth/large-brood-of-17-year-cicadas-expected-this-spring

Quoting debramommyof4:

Cicada's are loud but they are really pretty.  We called them June bugs back home, Tennessee.  I am now in California.  They are one of my favorites.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting tinkerspell:

Quoting No_Difference:

One of our tiny ones

tinkerspell
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

yeah i have always known them as june bugs 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting tinkerspell:

Quoting No_Difference:

One of our tiny ones

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN