Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for informaiton/help for a friend.

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have a friend who called me today and is looking at homeschooling her son next year.  He will be in 5th grade and has learning disabilities, autism, anxiety and ADHD, the school he had been going to he was doing pretty good in, so they decided to transfer him to a new school closer to their town and told the parents that he was ready for regular classes.  They did not transition him they just threw him in there, this had led to a year of him having even more anxiety, not even going to school some days and being late a lot of times, she says by time they get him drug out to the car and into school it can take an hour.  The school's solution is to have him go half days for the rest of the year.

So she is just in the gathering information stage and I told her I would help her all I can, but since I am pretty new at this myself (2 years) I told her I would see if you wonderful ladies could give us some suggestions.  I may even have her come here when she gets her computer back.

So like I said her son will be in 5th grade next year, and she said he still can not read beyond a kindergarten level if that, he doesn't know a lot of the sight words, and he has trouble putting sounds together for the phonics part.  He can do some basic math and write only a few numbers.  The old school kept telling her there was nothing wrong with his reading at school so it must just be her. 

Anyways she is wanting to get some ideas on curriculum, unit studies, lesson ideas, websites to get this information, any advice, books, etc, that might be good to use for a child like this. I did tell her that right now she will probably need to take something he is interested in and try to make lessons around that.  For example he loves lawn mowers, and steam cleaners, she asked if for math if she would say it takes this much gas to mow a yard, how much would you need to mow 4.  So she has a basic idea maybe how to tweak things.  So if any of you have any ideas that you could throw our way we would both be very appreciative of it.  Thank you.   

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

does she have a lawn mower or steam cleaner he can take apart and put back together?? great for hands on, and he can tell her about it,

or write down what hes doing

maybe some stuff in here http://pinterest.com/MeetPenny/autism-therapy-at-home/

noraa21
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Quoting oredeb:

does she have a lawn mower or steam cleaner he can take apart and put back together?? great for hands on, and he can tell her about it,

Yes they have about  5 steam cleaners and about the same lawn mowers, the little boy is obssesed with steam cleaners and now lawn mowers.  He loves to take things apart and put them back together so I will pass that on to her.

oredeb
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM

maybe read about them also? an owners manual? hahaha might be worth a try! maybe give him one that doesnt work and let him fix i?

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting oredeb:

Yes they have about  5 steam cleaners and about the same lawn mowers, the little boy is obssesed with steam cleaners and now lawn mowers.  He loves to take things apart and put them back together so I will pass that on to her.

katetheredhead
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Since reading is on a lower level, I would first label everything in the house, take apart his steam cleaners and label each part and do drills for maybe 3 to 5 minutes to start, depending on his attention span. I would schedule his day using a picture and language schedule that clearly defines his tasks...with lots of 'down' time, whatever that may be for him, also it seems like the school is creating a traumatic and immensely stressful situation for him...I would probably pull him out for the rest of the year and let him "tinker"with his cleaners and lawn mowers, sounds like they all could use some time to decompress. He is obviously very bright, and mechanically inclined...I thin Pandia Press is geared towards engineering...I worked with folks with Autism, ADHD, OCD, Oppositional Defiant, etc for years...if she would like to email me personally, I am more than happy to share some of my thoughts. Just message me if she would like my email, best of lick to her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)