Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello! New here!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, ladies!  I'm Chasity.  I'm a 26-year-old housewife and mom.  My hubby and I will be celebrating our 7th anniversary at the beginning of May.  Our son, Hayden, is 5 now-he will be 6 in May.  Hayden was born with a cleft lip and palate.  About a year and a half ago or so, we got his diagnosis of OCD, and a year ago he got his Autism diagnosis.  Homeschooling is something that I'd toyed around with for a while, and I suspected I would always do it in a few years or so.  What happened was, my husband got a job pipelining and it's more economical for us to follow him rather than paying household bills plus traveling expenses for my husband since he'll always be traveling anyway.  So, we talked about it and decided that we would just follow him.  Unfortunately, he only got 40 hours' notice before we had to leave the state to follow the pipeline, so right now, we're in Texas from Louisiana.  We had to do it quickly so Hayden has already been pulled out of school (it'll be a week on Friday), but this is the first chance I've had to do any research.  If there are other moms out there who are homeschooling their Autistic kids, I'd like to know what curriculums there are out there that are most compatible with Autisim.  Also, I've read a few posts here and I keep hearing about unschooling.  I just wanted to know what that is exactly.  I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here and getting and giving support! I hope that all of you and your families are well!

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Welcome! I'm Shannon and I HS my 2 kids, my eldest has Aspergers so I know what it is like homeschooling a unique child. WELCOME again!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Welcome! You've come to the right place. There are many women on here with great advice. This is the first place I go to when I need something answered. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy home schooling, it really is the best thing to do for your child!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I'm not an unschooler, but from what I gather... it's basically letting the kid's interests guide you.   Many of them will "plant" learning opportunities and interest guaging stuff in the child's environment.   

Personally, I like having curriculum myself for the basics (math and english) but some of our other stuff has been more of  an 'unschool' approach.

I don't have direct experience with autism, but if it's similar to teach as attention disorders and emotional/social disorders...  I do have kids that are just "different" than others... if that makes sense.

Anyway, I've been learning about how diet affects their ability to learn and focus and control themselves.   We have been avoiding food colors and corn syrups and starches.  It's helping a lot and I can see the difference when they are exposed to these things.

I've also learned that getting them active and get their adrenaline pumping really good, then I have about 20 minutes of hard core focus (plus good attitudes!)

I'm also learning that taking little bites every day is terrific...  like don't try to spend 13 hours doing school work.   

Also, change it up constantly.   Use a large variety of approaches.   From online stuff... to library... to writing to hands on..  This helps my kids... However, if that doesn't work for him it might be because autistic kids actually respond well to routine.   Hopefully that issue doesn't throw a wrench in your decision to always be moving.  

Some autistic kids can handle those big changes... others can't so be prepared.

oredeb
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

welcome chasity!!!

i hear texas is a good state to homeschool in!!

HaydensMom178
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Hello, ladies! Thanks for all of your replies! I feel very welcome and am looking forward to picking your brains! When my hubby first got this job and was away from home, Hayden went a little haywire, but I figured out it wasn't just because Daddy wasn't there anymore, it was because I hadn't kept up with his routine. As soon as I got back into it at home, he was back to normal, so we're thinking that as long as we can keep his normal routine, he will be good. Actually, I have to follow Louisiana curriculum since that's where he was pulled out at. Although, it would be great to find a homeschool support group or something here that I could see about popping into. Just to get some of that interaction with other homeschooling families in person. I may have to check into that!
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM

welcome to the group and to homeschooling :-)

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Welcome to the group. I have 2 sons on the Autism spectrum & 1 daughter that is as normal as she can be. We unschool/child led learning we also live in Texas. If you have any questions I will do my best to help you out just ask here or you can privet mesage me anytime.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Technically, you only have to follow the laws of the state that you would establish some kind of residency in.   Like if you aren't going to own a home in Louisiana, so you might establish a residence in another state... maybe have mail sent to grandma and some belongings in that state...

Then THAT would be the state laws you could follow then.   If Louisiana requests it, you might have to give them some type of transfer notice, but I'm not sure.

Quoting HaydensMom178:

Hello, ladies! Thanks for all of your replies! I feel very welcome and am looking forward to picking your brains! When my hubby first got this job and was away from home, Hayden went a little haywire, but I figured out it wasn't just because Daddy wasn't there anymore, it was because I hadn't kept up with his routine. As soon as I got back into it at home, he was back to normal, so we're thinking that as long as we can keep his normal routine, he will be good. Actually, I have to follow Louisiana curriculum since that's where he was pulled out at. Although, it would be great to find a homeschool support group or something here that I could see about popping into. Just to get some of that interaction with other homeschooling families in person. I may have to check into that!

HaydensMom178
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Thanks, Krissy!  Actually, now that you put it that way, I'm really not sure.  We'll be going back to Louisiana in 6 months and I know that the next pipeline is going down past New Orleans, but we don't know where it'll end yet.  So, we'll be back there for a long while.  We have an apartment, but we're going to give it up because we wouldn't be there anyway, and once they find out how much my husband's making, we couldn't keep it since it's based on income and he makes too much.  So, no permanent residence at all for now.  Hopefully, within a year, we can pay off our van to trade it for a truck and a camper for us to live in.  (Fifth Wheel is what we're thinking.)  So, I really wouldn't know how to categorize us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN