Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi, ladies!  I'm Chasity.  I'm a 26-year-old housewife and mom.  My hubby and I will be celebrating our 7th anniversary at the beginning of May.  Our son, Hayden, is 5 now-he will be 6 in May.  Hayden was born with a cleft lip and palate.  About a year and a half ago or so, we got his diagnosis of OCD, and a year ago he got his Autism diagnosis.  Homeschooling is something that I'd toyed around with for a while, and I suspected I would always do it in a few years or so.  What happened was, my husband got a job pipelining and it's more economical for us to follow him rather than paying household bills plus traveling expenses for my husband since he'll always be traveling anyway.  So, we talked about it and decided that we would just follow him.  Unfortunately, he only got 40 hours' notice before we had to leave the state to follow the pipeline, so right now, we're in Texas from Louisiana.  We had to do it quickly so Hayden has already been pulled out of school (it'll be a week on Friday), but this is the first chance I've had to do any research.  If there are other moms out there who are homeschooling their Autistic kids, I'd like to know what curriculums there are out there that are most compatible with Autisim.  Also, I've read a few posts here and I keep hearing about unschooling.  I just wanted to know what that is exactly.  I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here and getting and giving support! I hope that all of you and your families are well!

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Replies (11-14):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I just took a look at Louisiana laws, and they look predominately the same as us...  Unless I missed it, you don't have to follow their curriculum or anything.

You just keep a log of educational activities and hours to reflect 1000 hours of instruction (600 have to be the core subjects)...  plus a portfolio sample of the kids work, assessments you do with them, etc...

You choose the curriculum and everything yourself.

HaydensMom178
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Oh!  I forgot-I did go to the school and sign the papers and they put on it that I was pulling him out to homeschool him, so I guess that takes care of the transfer?  They'd said that was all I'd needed to do.  Then, they gave me a booklet and I filled out the last sheet of it and kept the rest.  They said it would be turned in and that was it.

HaydensMom178
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Wow!  Awesome!  Thanks for that!  I did look at them, but they got a bit confusing to me-Idk, maybe it's the wording or something.  Anyway, I honestly don't even know where to start looking for curriculums.  How I'd hoped to do this was:  curriculum for the basics, a couple of hours a day, then the rest would be learning through experience.  Taking him places and showing him things-I think he'd learn best that way.  Obviously, he wouldn't get the historical places yet-when he's older, maybe, but not now.  I'm talking age-appropriate places that would interest him.

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Welcome and BUMP!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN