Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Non-traditional ways to learn fractions?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

We are rather unschooly.

Math is a weak spot for 9yo DD.

What are some non-worksheet, non-textbook ways to teach fractions?

We looked at some recipes in a magazine. She did a few videos on BrainPop too. She helps me cook all the time but the markings on my measuring cup is so faded that it's hard to make out the numbers without knowing what you're looking for. She has a good understanding but I'd like to reinforce it a little more.

Ideas?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Pizza cut into different fractions.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I don't know if it's too schooly for you... I made DD felt fraction pies. I made 4 felt circles in different colors, 2 layers to be stiffer. I cut one in half, one in thirds, one in fourths. I wrote 1/2,1/3... In puffy paint on each piece. I just let her play with them. I also have some fraction puzzles that I think I got from discount school supply. Squares, circles, and triangles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Look at stick butter and read the tablespoon measurements on the side.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Use Legos to build different fractions and compare how to make the same height/length using different Lego pieces.

amandae21
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM

That's awesome! Not too schooly. I do semi-formal teaching, just not textbook... DD just shuts down when we whip out worksheets and textbooks.

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

I don't know if it's too schooly for you... I made DD felt fraction pies. I made 4 felt circles in different colors, 2 layers to be stiffer. I cut one in half, one in thirds, one in fourths. I wrote 1/2,1/3... In puffy paint on each piece. I just let her play with them. I also have some fraction puzzles that I think I got from discount school supply. Squares, circles, and triangles.

amandae21
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Awesome (and awesome about the butter)!

Quoting mem82:

Use Legos to build different fractions and compare how to make the same height/length using different Lego pieces.

leighp1
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

M&M fractions

You can use Skittles with that link too.  You can use a candy bar that is divided into segments.  The ideas are endless with this.  Pizza is a good one too.  

The measuring cup thing.  Have her fix the measuring cup with a permanent marker.  I ended up having to do this with one of mine because the numbers wore off.  She might enjoy that if you complain and say "I wish someone could fix this for me"  Mine would jump at the chance to help me.  It's worth a shot.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Have her actually cook. Get a recipe for something she likes to eat & have her make it then have her double/half or what ever to change the recipe. Also don't give her all the measuring spoons or cups only give her like the 1/4tsp, 1/2tbs & the 1/4 cup, she would then have to figure out how many more scoops she needs to get the right amount. The test will be if she gets it right & her food turns out tasting right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)