Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool support - is there a limit?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

Is there EVER a point where you think someone should NOT homeschool?

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes...  if they are homeschooling because they feel like they are pressured to, but they don't want to and aren't on-board for the task.

Yes... if they are short tempered, punative, etc...   That's not a good environment.

Yes... if they are either lazy or selfish and don't try but sleeps til 2 pm and ignores their kids the rest of the day.  Say... maybe they make the kids stay at home and do all the housework... never teach them anything or at least not much past their ABC's.

However, if it's just because they aren't equipped or knowledgable enough??? No.   I think every parent can invest time in researching and finding out what works for their kids to learn to love learning.

Editing to add, NO homeschool journey is perfect and no school year turns out perfect... at least not in my house.   However, my kids are learning and have been developing despite my more scatterbrained or short tempered moments.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Agreed.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes...  if they are homeschooling because they feel like they are pressured to, but they don't want to and aren't on-board for the task.

Yes... if they are short tempered, punative, etc...   That's not a good environment.

Yes... if they are either lazy or selfish and don't try but sleeps til 2 pm and ignores their kids the rest of the day.  Say... maybe they make the kids stay at home and do all the housework... never teach them anything or at least not much past their ABC's.

However, if it's just because they aren't equipped or knowledgable enough??? No.   I think every parent can invest time in researching and finding out what works for their kids to learn to love learning.

Editing to add, NO homeschool journey is perfect and no school year turns out perfect... at least not in my house.   However, my kids are learning and have been developing despite my more scatterbrained or short tempered moments.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:09 AM

If they lack the determination and persistence to do it, then they should not. For me, it is like a full-time job. I don't do anything half-way.

My dh is an assistant principal in a public school.  He is all the time talking (bragging?) about what I do with our dd to his "boss," the principal. They talk about how we are at one end of the spectrum, while many of the returning homeschooled students are at the other. They get the students, whose parents pulled their kids out (or the kids got kicked out, more likely) to homeschool, but they really didn't accomplish anything, so the kids are way behind when the parents finally decide that they don't know what the heck they are doing and send them back.

Some people just don't have the drive, the organizational skills,  the creativity, or SOMETHING,  to do it. I don't necessarily think it has to do with having a degree or being highly intelligent. You can work around those. No, it is something else that is lacking.

sdgd21
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I agree, but I will say I have family members that I  pre-judged to be unfit homeschoolers... I was wrong ;-)

Quoting KrissyKC:

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Most parents do a far better job than what the P.S. does. But I have seen a few who did not commit to their part as the educator, and left the child to educate themselves falsely calling their lack of interest as unschooling. It takes s commitment and caring to succeed....the rest can be learned. Those two things I hear in your words. You will do just fine.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM

YES.  But even if I think they shouldn't I would tell them to give it a year.  They can't do too much damage in a single year.  I suggest that they give their child a diagnostic test at the beginning and end of the year.  If there is suffiecient improvement then I was wrong and they are capable.  I would NEVER give anyone the opinion that I didn't think they were capable of homeschooling.  That is something one must determine on their own.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
3 moms liked this

If the parent wants to then I am all for it.  The only children that I think should be in a government school are the ones that home life is deplorable and they are actually safer in school. 

oredeb
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

ive seen moms just like these and ive seen them change!!! i was one of them! but your right there are some that dont!!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Maridel
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Yes, but those are probably people i think shouldn't have been parents in the first place let alone homeschool! But I'm working on trying to chill my judgemental thoughts!

Remy11
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I think there are plenty of people who should not be homeschooling!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)