Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any Christian Liberty users?? Have questions.

Posted by   + Show Post
I was wondering if any one has used Christian Liberty curriculum. I read some reviews online, was just wondering what anyone on here thought of it? I'm considering it or parts of it and then keeping Abeka for some subject. We have only ever used Abeka. Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (11-13):
CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I found Christian Light to have good, solid science without getting into that particular discussion. Yes, God set us above the animals, to be caretakers of the animals and the planet. But that has nothing to do with the definition, "mammals are warm-blooded, have hair, give live birth, and have mammary glands." JMO.
Quoting lucsch:

They both are young earth, creation-based science.

I don't find the example you gave unsciency at all. Though humans do qualify as mammals in most ways, we are a level above all animals, if you believe the account in the Bible. If you don't, well, I would suggest not using a Christian curriculum.

Quoting CaitsCookies:

I've not heard of Christian Liberty. Is their science more science-based than A Beka? I used to teach at a Christian school that used A Beka and got to see the elementary science, which said that humans aren't mammals because we have souls. I'd never realized before that, that the presence or absence of a soul was part of the definition for "mammal." Surprised me a bit.

lucsch
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Yes, but it is important to me not to think of human beings as "just another animal." I think aBeka has it right.

I respectfully disagree that CLE teaches this point any differently. Man is not an animal. I quote from LU 201, "After God made all the animals, He made people."

Lesson 3 says:

God created us in His image. We are
special to God. He wants to be our friend.
He wants us to obey Him and love Him.
He wants us to pray to Him. He gave
each of us a soul that will
never die. If we love and
obey God, we can go to
be with Him in heaven.
Animals do not have souls.
They are not created in God’s
image. But that does not mean
that animals are not important
to God. They are important.
God tells us to have
dominion over the animals.

We cannot be both set apart and be classified with the animals.
There is a choice to be made.
Quoting CaitsCookies:

I found Christian Light to have good, solid science without getting into that particular discussion. Yes, God set us above the animals, to be caretakers of the animals and the planet. But that has nothing to do with the definition, "mammals are warm-blooded, have hair, give live birth, and have mammary glands." JMO.
Quoting lucsch:

I don't find the example you gave unsciency at all. Though humans do qualify as mammals in most ways, we are a level above all animals, if you believe the account in the Bible. If you don't, well, I would suggest not using a Christian curriculum.

Quoting CaitsCookies:

I've not heard of Christian Liberty. Is their science more science-based than A Beka? I used to teach at a Christian school that used A Beka and got to see the elementary science, which said that humans aren't mammals because we have souls. I'd never realized before that, that the presence or absence of a soul was part of the definition for "mammal." Surprised me a bit.

CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand your point, but to me, scientifically and mathematically speaking, to say "humans are not mammals" is equivalent to saying "humans are not warm blooded, do not have hair, do not give live birth, or do not have mammary glands." We are a classification ABOVE all creation, but we are still a part of creation and have those four similarities to Class Mammalia. Like a Venn Diagram.
Quoting lucsch:

Yes, but it is important to me not to think of human beings as "just another animal." I think aBeka has it right.

I respectfully disagree that CLE teaches this point any differently. Man is not an animal. I quote from LU 201, "After God made all the animals, He made people."

Lesson 3 says:

God created us in His image. We are
special to God. He wants to be our friend.
He wants us to obey Him and love Him.
He wants us to pray to Him. He gave
each of us a soul that will
never die. If we love and
obey God, we can go to
be with Him in heaven.
Animals do not have souls.
They are not created in God’s
image. But that does not mean
that animals are not important
to God. They are important.
God tells us to have
dominion over the animals.

We cannot be both set apart and be classified with the animals.
There is a choice to be made.
Quoting CaitsCookies:

Quoting lucsch:

Quoting CaitsCookies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN