Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Had to take a major chill pill!!

Posted by   + Show Post

The other day I had a fit and did whole "I can't do this anymore" and told my DD I was going to put her in school and the others in daycare and go get a full time job blah blah etc. I have been sooo stressed and overwhelmed. My 8 month old son is not a good sleeper, I mean he will nap 15 minutes and be up again and extremely whiny and overtired in less than 30 minutes. I wasn't getting much work done with my first grader and my 3 year old is just stuck in the middle of it all with anxiety issues, whiny, and still having potty accidents. Anyway sorry long story short! I was stressing because I was trying to get my DD into a good routine of doing her school work before lunch, and I fetl that I was teaching her the opposite, that school work wasn't important, and we weren't getting anything done. THEN I TOOK MY CHILL PILL! no not literally, but once I calmed down (had to go for a drive so the baby would fall asleep in the car), I prayed and thought and cooled off and reminded myself of all the reasons we homeschool. Reminded myself DD is not behind, she learns everyday no matter wether we sit and do her schoolwork or not. Then I came on cafemom where I can read posts and get more reminders of why we do what we do. So thanks for the posts, and thanks for letting me vent. I've decided to unschool til the fall and see where we fit. I figure by fall the baby will be 1 and hopefully sleeping better or less whiny and I will know if we need to finsih her first grade curriculum or if I can go ahead and start her with second grade. Or maybe I'll be so in love with unschooling I won't order curriculum at all! (I doubt that I lack creativity big time and I need a some kind of guide). But I'm so thankful for this group.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (11-15):
lifesadream83
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Do you have a baby carrier ... My 4 mo old is very needy I have to hold her all the time or her naps would be that short too! My boba and Moby are essential to getting anything done to include laundry / cooking.hope things get better!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnt-manda
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Im sorry momma, I do feel your pain. As a mom of three boys, 10,7 & 3. Somedays are little hard to juggle. We all have bad days, days I'm ready to throw in the towel. and then there are days I'm like, "yeah, I got this."

Do you have somesort of routine? like certain times of day you do certain things? Like while your laying lo down, the oldest could be playing a computer game. (I try to balance the independent work between the work I have to teach so I don't have three yelling "mommy" all at the same time.

I have learned if I spend 15-30 minutes every morning one on one with the three yr old, he is less whiney and plays more independently. I also keep school toys, puzzles and such, for him to only ay with during school time, it helps keep him entertained I change the toys up. Lately he just likes painting at the table with his watercolors.

Only suggestion I have for your napping issue with the eight mnth old, is maybe ay some soft music. When my little guy was small, he would not takes naps well at all, I started playing music, dark room, and keep the room a little cooler, it worked. I think he was so used to noise in the house the quiet bedroom just woke him up.

Not sure if thats any help. Hang in there, it gets better. Oh and while your unschooling try letting her do some lap books on her favorite things. Bring back that love for learning spirit. Chances are she's probably not behind or won't take much to catch up.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maridel
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Yes I have several slings and an ergo. They were great as a younger infant but at the wiggly age of 8 months, just learning to crawl, and being overtired, it does not work well during school time. They are great when we are out and about but not at home. The problem is when he get so tired but refuses to sleep, he pushes me, and does the stiff back and he's not a small baby, 22 lbs and counting. Its exhausting. 

Quoting lifesadream83:

Do you have a baby carrier ... My 4 mo old is very needy I have to hold her all the time or her naps would be that short too! My boba and Moby are essential to getting anything done to include laundry / cooking.hope things get better!

Maridel
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have tried all those ideas. I've read and re read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" since my second daughter was born. I don't know what Im doing wrong but my DD stopped didn't sleep through the night til she was 2 and stopped taking naps shortly after. And my son is worse about sleep. I've tried EVERYTHING. and we do try a routine. After we wake up we eat, get dressed and so some chores. Then its time for my son to nap, it can take me up to 45 minutes to get him to sleep. Then when I do, DD and I sit down quickly to try and do her schoolwork. I promise you some days he's up again in 5 minutes. So until he starts sleeping better we are taking a step back from bookwork and just enjoying life experiences. I'm not too concerned for her in most areas. She is great with reading and loves science. I would like her to work on her penmanship a little, she has gotten pretty sloppy this year. And because I hadn't settled down with a curriculum she's a little behind in math. I finally ordered Math U See a couple months ago and she was doing great with it but I'm realizing how I've held her back a bit. She could count and had the concept of adding and subtracting (and could do it by counting) but her concept of place value is lacking and I realized it's important for her to understand that. Its the only thing I feel I'm going to be missing out on with her by not using a curriculum.

Quoting tnt-manda:

Im sorry momma, I do feel your pain. As a mom of three boys, 10,7 & 3. Somedays are little hard to juggle. We all have bad days, days I'm ready to throw in the towel. and then there are days I'm like, "yeah, I got this."

Do you have somesort of routine? like certain times of day you do certain things? Like while your laying lo down, the oldest could be playing a computer game. (I try to balance the independent work between the work I have to teach so I don't have three yelling "mommy" all at the same time.

I have learned if I spend 15-30 minutes every morning one on one with the three yr old, he is less whiney and plays more independently. I also keep school toys, puzzles and such, for him to only ay with during school time, it helps keep him entertained I change the toys up. Lately he just likes painting at the table with his watercolors.

Only suggestion I have for your napping issue with the eight mnth old, is maybe ay some soft music. When my little guy was small, he would not takes naps well at all, I started playing music, dark room, and keep the room a little cooler, it worked. I think he was so used to noise in the house the quiet bedroom just woke him up.

Not sure if thats any help. Hang in there, it gets better. Oh and while your unschooling try letting her do some lap books on her favorite things. Bring back that love for learning spirit. Chances are she's probably not behind or won't take much to catch up.

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I completely understand dd is 4 months old and 17.5 lbs!  She is already fighting her sleep.  She likes the moby more then the boba because she is short and can't see over the top of the Boba but she prefers being held to anything else.

Quoting Maridel:

Yes I have several slings and an ergo. They were great as a younger infant but at the wiggly age of 8 months, just learning to crawl, and being overtired, it does not work well during school time. They are great when we are out and about but not at home. The problem is when he get so tired but refuses to sleep, he pushes me, and does the stiff back and he's not a small baby, 22 lbs and counting. Its exhausting. 

Quoting lifesadream83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)