Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching religion/Bible study

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you use a curriculum?  Do you have any advice?

Some background: DH and I are Catholic but because we did not have our children together neither of them are Baptized or have been raised Catholic.  I want to teach them about the Bible, but we do not go to church at this point.  We can baptize them now if we wanted to, but we would like to just teach them at this point and then make a decision with them if they want to go through the whole thing.  DH and I also only went as far as First Communion, so we have considered doing the whole thing to be all Catholic again, but I'm not sure we will go to church regularly no matter what, we feel God knows us and knows we pray and believe, and that we don't have to be in church every Sunday to show him. 

Any thoughts?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Replies (11-16):
wunderwifey
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I was raised Catholic but left the church a few years ago. DH and I associate with the Southern Methodist church. I have thought about utilizing a Catholic curriculum in order to help better teach my girls the basic fundamentals of biblical knowledge I think they're lacking. But will omit certain things we do not agree with (Marys Acension and purgatory for example) and teach the things the Catholic church traditionally does not teach (most of the book of Revelations)
I'd be more concerned with sticking to scripture than to a curriculum. Each curriculum is gonna have something you don't agree with. Teach what is biblically true and you can't go wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Yes. It's sad but she's amazing how she started the ewtn. I really admire her.

Quoting wunderwifey:

Ah. Okay. I remember her having health problems back then which is why I was shocked. I really enjoyed listening to her.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Re-runs. It's still on ewtn. I downloaded my favorites from youtube. She is the best!

Quoting wunderwifey:

Mother Angelica is still alive?! I remember watching her 15 years ago.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Catholic are baptized Christians. Yes I am catholic and christian but don't go to church because of our son with special needs but we watched the mass from www.ewtn.com. I taught my son short prayers to recite before going to bed and in the morning.

The www.ewtn.com is very informative and does have shows for children. I like Mother Angelica. Her teachings are practical and easy to understand. This will be a good start for your kids.

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM
For my own personal bible study I use Thru The Bible by Dr. McGee. He has a bible based radio ministry for years. You can also find the books on amazon for cheap. He explains so much.

I use the same format with my son. We read through the bible book by book and I explain based on his age and understanding. We also watch bible movies, veggie tales. He lives his Action Bible.

For me a child should know they are loved by God and their family. Then bible knowledge and religion studies will deepen their commitment to a faith.
LavenderMom23
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM

If you don't go to church, how do you obey the New Testament command in Hebrews 10:25?

"We should not stay away from our assembly,* as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this all the more as you see the day drawing near."

I formly teach Religion as part of my homeschool curiculum through Seton Home Study. Below is a link for the religion workbooks and more.

http://www.setonbooks.com/search.php?subject=&grade=&userSearchString=Religion&x=-129&y=-231

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for League of Animal Protectors, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
You can still meet with and worship with others. That is church. We as Christians are the church. I do not beed a building to have church. I don't want to argue scripture. But I would prefer to "assemble" with family and close friends in worship than strangers in a building called "church". But who do not fellowship or encourage each other outside of the church walls.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I am absolutely not arguing with you. Please remember that Mass is required of Catholics; it is considered a grave sin to not go to Mass, when you could have reasonably gone (i.e. barring illness, death, etc). I think that is what the PP was referring to. That isn't to say that it always happens that way - I miss Mass occasionally and it makes for a longer confession, but we are supposed to go.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

You can still meet with and worship with others. That is church. We as Christians are the church. I do not beed a building to have church. I don't want to argue scripture. But I would prefer to "assemble" with family and close friends in worship than strangers in a building called "church". But who do not fellowship or encourage each other outside of the church walls.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN