Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching religion/Bible study

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you use a curriculum?  Do you have any advice?

Some background: DH and I are Catholic but because we did not have our children together neither of them are Baptized or have been raised Catholic.  I want to teach them about the Bible, but we do not go to church at this point.  We can baptize them now if we wanted to, but we would like to just teach them at this point and then make a decision with them if they want to go through the whole thing.  DH and I also only went as far as First Communion, so we have considered doing the whole thing to be all Catholic again, but I'm not sure we will go to church regularly no matter what, we feel God knows us and knows we pray and believe, and that we don't have to be in church every Sunday to show him. 

Any thoughts?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
We are not Catholic..but we are Christians. We stopped attending church a few years ago. There were many reasons behind our choice..but the main one was that we didn't feel our children were actually being taught the Bible in Church. They were being fed cookies and koolaid and watch veggie ttales. Not that veggie tales is bad. We actually love those shows..but it is definitely not a biblical education in mine and my husbands minds. :)
so we stopped going to church and we have church at home. We also incorporate Bible into our daily school. Also we use a biblical based history curriculum...along with other biblical resources, verse memorization and of course just reading the Bible. :)
Most of my husbands family is catholic..but neither of us is very farmilar with the religion itself. So I am no help there. I do know there are some catholic based curriculums out there. You can also check out your local Christian book store for resources or CBD.com.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

hi tj!

we dont use a curr, every morning we talk about or maybe the kids hve questions, what we heard on sunday, play some songs, read from the bible, which could be a story, or some verses from proverbs and talk about what they mean for us, sometimes i'll have the kids find verses that pertain to a certain subject and bring it the next day, the kids also memorize some bible verses, and i use the bible for doing copywork

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Catholic are baptized Christians. Yes I am catholic and christian but don't go to church because of our son with special needs but we watched the mass from www.ewtn.com. I taught my son short prayers to recite before going to bed and in the morning.

The www.ewtn.com is very informative and does have shows for children. I like Mother Angelica. Her teachings are practical and easy to understand. This will be a good start for your kids.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Rod and Staff puts out a simple approach to biblical learning.   In the first couple years (k-2), it is taught as their reading program so it's very story based.   It's also not overly expensive.  HOWEVER, it's put out by the Mennonite schools, so it's very old fashioned.

My own kids don't currently use a curriculum because are involved in Junior Bible Quizzing that they have to practice for 4-5 times weekly.   These kids know more about the Bible than I probably ever will.  

Previously, their bible was included with the curriculum we were using because we were using the My Father's World program.    Prior to that, they were young enough to just extend what the church was teaching them.

Next year, I discovered some information on the history of world missions (from Teaching with God's Heart for the World.)   I'm taking some of that and doing a brief study on the history of missions, plus we will be writing letters to missionaries, we may "adopt" a child or a missionary to help support... etc.   I'm also getting them involved in local missions service, too.

However, there are amazing and fun curriculum out there.   My favorite store to browse HS curriculum is Mardel Christian Book and Gift.   They are HUGE on their homeschool stuff.   If you don't have one near you, they are available online.

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh how cool! I see I am not alone. I am Christian (raised in the church). My mother is Catholic and my father is Protestant. I was raised Protestant but visit either occasionally. I no longer am a member of any church. (Long story: I don't like how many churches are run as either country clubs or businesses). 

My faith is still very important to me. I teach my son at home. We read/pray daily together and separately. We are open about what we believe and what we do not believe. We also know that other people believe differently from us and that's ok too. It's important to teach my son what I believe is important in the Word and not be misled or manipulated because of someone else's agenda. 

Good luck! 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am so glad I am not the only person that doesn't physically go to church...I was a bit nervous to admit it, lol.  My kids really don't know a lot, just little bits we have told them.  I could use a refresher on the Bible myself ;)  My son's father doesn't believe in anything, so it's a little hard there since he has such conflicting beliefs to digest from his parents, but I'm hoping to really just teach him morals and values, I don't care if you don't believe in God but you still need to be a good person!  My stepdaughter wants to know everything and go to church all the time. 

I need to get a good Bible.  I am going to ask my husband's grandmother if she has one she can spare (she must have multiple!), I only have a Precious Moments child's version that I've had since I was little.

wunderwifey
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Mother Angelica is still alive?! I remember watching her 15 years ago.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Catholic are baptized Christians. Yes I am catholic and christian but don't go to church because of our son with special needs but we watched the mass from www.ewtn.com. I taught my son short prayers to recite before going to bed and in the morning.

The www.ewtn.com is very informative and does have shows for children. I like Mother Angelica. Her teachings are practical and easy to understand. This will be a good start for your kids.

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Re-runs. It's still on ewtn. I downloaded my favorites from youtube. She is the best!

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting mommy4lyf:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

No thoughts really. It's your decision. I'm Catholic.

Some good Catholic resources; Faith and Life series, St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism, Seton's bible history and/or religion series.

Keep in mind that if you use a protestant bible program or religion program, it will reflect a protestant view; also keep in mind that protestants and Catholics use different "versions" of the bible.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

wunderwifey
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Ah. Okay. I remember her having health problems back then which is why I was shocked. I really enjoyed listening to her.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Re-runs. It's still on ewtn. I downloaded my favorites from youtube. She is the best!

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)