Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I want to homeschool

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this
My son is 9 and in the third grade public school I want this to be his last year I know he is learning and I am afraid to home school afraid I dont know enough but I am done with the school system. I also have twin 3 year old daughters that will be four this September that I want to include in school we are in Idaho right now and want to keep it our base state after reading the homeschooling rules for different states. We plan to travel starting this September for a year are two we want to show our kids the USA and maybe other parts of the world as well (money will depend on how much out of the states travel we will do) I want a good curriculum and one that is easy for me to understand something that allows for a lot of exploring since that will be our primary goal
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well you are right on one thing: you don't know what you are doing. But that is a simple thing to fix. I am very medicated right now and not very good for you but I saw this post and just want to bump it for others to see and give you the facts that you need. Entering this group and asking for help is the first step in the journey. I wish you all the best. Now I am going to bed. I know another lady will appear soon and dump all the answers you need into this post. The girls here are great about that.

lucsch
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Wow, how exciting! I think traveling can be very educational!

There is a wealth of information in this group alone and loads more online about homeschooling. I would concentrate on your 9yo the most next year until you get your homeschooling-legs on. LOL Read lots of books to your little ones and do fun crafts. After you  find you have your son on the right path, add some phonics for your little ones, if you think they are ready for it. K4 is easy. Figuring out your son's levels for all of his subjects may be more tricky, but you can do it. You can always start with a boxed curriculum.

Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:02 AM
I'm not much help, my parents did unschooling with me. I had optional text book but for the most part my parents taught me what I needed through my own interests. When I decided to go to high school I had gained three grades from when I had been in public school previously.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you should write down what is important to you that you want to teach your kids. Then you can create your own curriculum or search based on that. Everyone homeschools for different reasons. Figuring this out first will help
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

How To Home School will give you tuns of information.

jellybeans5
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM

What about using a lap top computer and time 4 learning for your curriculum, http://www.time4learning.com/  for the 9 yr old or  ABC Mouse for the 4 yr olds. http://www.abcmouse.com/

It's all on the computer so you won't have to be carrying a lot of books, workbooks and other supplies while your traveling which would be challenging. Visit libraries along the way for some of your reading. Then I'd do a lot of unschooling and have fun since you'll be traveling.

If you only have 1 lap top, let your oldest have it 4 days a week & the younger two, 3 days a week.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Oh what fun! You will do great! Even if you never try to teach your children anything they can't help but learn, it is what we do as humans & traveling is going to give them a learning experience that they will never get from a classroom.

Kat0038
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Lapbooking and notebooking would work well for traveling http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/teacherslounge/notebooking.php#sthash.Dz4z35Fg.dpbs
myjazmine
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Thank you for all the helpful information now to put it all together! We have will have two lap tops with us (but one is for work) and my girls have kindles that we have already have lots of educational games on so thank you I think if e focus mostly on my son for now I should be doing ok
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
I looked how to make a curriculum and I ask a lot of questions through cafemom

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I think you should write down what is important to you that you want to teach your kids. Then you can create your own curriculum or search based on that. Everyone homeschools for different reasons. Figuring this out first will help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)