Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Tell me its ok.....

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 16 Replies
DS will be 6 in July. He is a good reader for his age....but the phonics rules are starting to confuse him again. His reading and spelling are instinctual and the rules are making him dislike phonics and reading. I decided to shelve phonics for a couple of months and focus on reading easy chapter books and use Learning to Spell Through Copywork from Queen to very gently start on rules from the beginning. Do you think this is a bad idea???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I think that is a good idea.

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM
No not at all. You are paying attention and teaching according to his needs! Great job.
leighp1
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if your child is not learning or starting to dislike the way it is being taught, you NEED to change it up a little.  That is one of the reasons we love homeschooling, because WE get to pick how and what we teach.  I honestly believe that mixing things up a bit helps keep the child interested.  Your doing great!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

It is a very good idea.  Wait until he is ready for the rules.  By teaching root words, prefixes and suffixes, you can teach spelling, vocabulary, and improve their reading all at the same time.  Make a game of it. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It's a great idea!  Way to pay attention to what he needs!

Kat0038
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think it is a good idea and am doing the same. My six year old daughter is not grasping and neither did I at that age. In fact I didn't grasp reading at all until I was nine. I would have done better in a Waldorf style school. 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Sounds good to me. Grace is about to be 6 in may and she is just now starting to read. I think she is in the same boat.
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Not everyone learns to read using phonics if reading is coming naturally to him without it I would shelve it too!

almondpigeon
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM

i think if it works, it's a good idea!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Cole was the same way. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)