Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

State Testing Tomorrow (update 1)

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 15 Replies

Mon-Wednesday I take Sierra to go do her OAA testing. I have to take Wyatt with me. I tried to get a sitter but I think that's fallen through. The girl never got back with me. So I guess I'm stuck entertaining a toddler for a few hrs at this thing. Not looking forward to that.

I'm not worried about Sierra doing well on the test. I know she's very smart and has learned a lot this year. The only subject she's really struggled with is Science. I hate K12's science program. She doesn't even have a book. It's all online and not much detail.

Anyway, not much point besides saying...we're doing testing. lol

Has your kids done end of year testing yet?

If you don't do end of year testing, are you doing anything else interesting?

Monday Update:

Well we are back. It's been a long day... We arrived around 12:30 and I stayed there with her till they called all the students back to test. I knew Wyatt would not be quiet and that was their only stipulation for taking other kids. Thankfully they allowed us to leave while they tested as long as I left my phone number.

So Wyatt and I went to get some lunch and then I went to the park with him. We stayed until 2:15. I thought she'd be done around that time which is why we went back. But they didn't allow them to leave until 3:10. While we waited Wyatt was a bit of a pain, but otherwise was ok. One girl objected to getting hugged constantly by Wyatt.

We are an affectionate family. We kiss, hug, and say I love you all the time. Wyatt hasn't learned that strangers are not apart of the family and shouldn't be hugged anytime he feels like it. Most of the time people don't care. But I'm always afraid of that one person who will object to it.

After her testing (subject was reading today), I took Sierra to the YMCA so she could swim for a bit. I figured she deserved a little treat.

Btw, someone asked about swimming at the hotel pool. I don't think they will allow that. Besides DS doesn't swim well and I certainly couldn't keep him in the pool for 3 hrs.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck to your daughter. A suggestion to help with your toddler, if you have time & money get some little toys & things that will hold his attention along with special snacks & drink & make up a "Special Busy Bag" for him. A new thing almost always holds a toddlers attention better then something they have had for a while & a different new snack is exciting, all of this might help distract him from wanting to explore the new environment that you won't want him exploring. If you want to try this & the testing is going to be over a few days time you will want new things for the bag everyday otherwise the interest will only hold him for the first day!

noraa21
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

What grade is your daughter in, my son (6th grade) has to do the reading and math only, and we are doing K12 charter option.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM

We are testing sometime in May with thier k12 teacher.  This will be dd7's last year with k12.  She wants a more hands on curriculum and she is not getting that with them.  She loves science but hates thiers, history is like pulling teeth and she is starting to hate math.  We will be moving on with her to a charter homeschool that allows tons more freedom for her. 

But dd6 is loving k12 so we will stick with it and see how next year goes.  She loves the history and science, plus I am going to use my older dd's science and history to add in more info through books and fun.

SalemWitchChild
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

She is in 5th grade and not a charter school.

Quoting noraa21:

What grade is your daughter in, my son (6th grade) has to do the reading and math only, and we are doing K12 charter option.

leighp1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Good luck.  My older daughter already took her FCAT last week (they only have to do the reading, but she also has an EOC are this month too).  My youngest doesn't do the FCAT.  We are opting for an evaluation. She has done one evaluation with her doctor's office and I am hoping that will be enough.  If not I do have a teacher that is willing to do it too. 

About you staying at school, will they let you?  I know here in the panhandle, they will not allow anyone to stay inside the school.  They want it to be totally quiet and secure. 

I wouldn't know what to do with a toddler any more, mine is 11 and I forgot about those good ol' days.  LOL

SalemWitchChild
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM

They are testing at a hotel. We are not allowed to go into the testing area. But I'll be around. They have on their rules that they want parents close, but not in the testing area.

I have an 11 yr old and an almost 2 yr old. Yeah I didn't plan that out well did I. lol. I have a pre-teen and a toddler who thinks he rules the roost.

Quoting leighp1:

Good luck.  My older daughter already took her FCAT last week (they only have to do the reading, but she also has an EOC are this month too).  My youngest doesn't do the FCAT.  We are opting for an evaluation. She has done one evaluation with her doctor's office and I am hoping that will be enough.  If not I do have a teacher that is willing to do it too. 

About you staying at school, will they let you?  I know here in the panhandle, they will not allow anyone to stay inside the school.  They want it to be totally quiet and secure. 

I wouldn't know what to do with a toddler any more, mine is 11 and I forgot about those good ol' days.  LOL

leighp1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I have to say I feel so sorry for you!!!  a pre-teen with hormones and a terrible two toddler.  Boy you sure didn't plan that well, or you planned that perfectly - they drive you crazy and then they have to take care of you!!! 

A hotel?  Wow, that is something I never heard of, but interesting.  Do they have a play area for the kids?  That would be awesome wouldn't it?

Tell your daughter that I wish her luck (not that she needs it). 

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

They are testing at a hotel. We are not allowed to go into the testing area. But I'll be around. They have on their rules that they want parents close, but not in the testing area.

I have an 11 yr old and an almost 2 yr old. Yeah I didn't plan that out well did I. lol. I have a pre-teen and a toddler who thinks he rules the roost.

SalemWitchChild
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

lol. Well DD is like a built in baby sitter so it does have its perks. ;)

Since it is K12 there is no physical school here. So they are using the conference area of a hotel to do the testing. I have never been to this hotel so I can't say whether they have a play area or not. Or maybe there is a restaurant around with a play area. I guess I'll see in a couple hours. We have to be there by 12:45 and probably will be done around 2:30. Then we go back on Tues and Wed for math and science testing.

Thanks for the luck. She may not need it but I do. lol

Quoting leighp1:

I have to say I feel so sorry for you!!!  a pre-teen with hormones and a terrible two toddler.  Boy you sure didn't plan that well, or you planned that perfectly - they drive you crazy and then they have to take care of you!!! 

A hotel?  Wow, that is something I never heard of, but interesting.  Do they have a play area for the kids?  That would be awesome wouldn't it?

Tell your daughter that I wish her luck (not that she needs it). 

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Here in NY we only have to test in 5th & 7th grades (and every year from 9th-12th).  We're on an off-year, as ds is in 6th grade.  I'll just write up an annual assessment in narrative form, with some of the highlights from the year.  For 7th grade,  I will administer the standardized tests myself on May or June and report the score.  Ds has no interest in taking tests at a school for 3 days.  

Good luck to your dd!

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I haven't had my daughter tested. Don't really plan on it either. Good luck to your daughter!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN