Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculums...

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 11 Replies

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive/free online curriculum for 7th and 4th grades? I'm beginning to question my choice of K12 but I really want to make sure they learn what they need. I don't even know where to begin with 3, I've been focusing on K for the youngest and I think I've got that figured out fairly well (kinda like starting out on a clean slate). I'm just clueless! *sigh*

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM

You could piece together one & pick things that are best for each individualchild. Start by asking them what they want to learn & go from there!

LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I'm actually considering Time4Learning with the older two... that's what I was planning to use for my youngest as a supplement. I feel like I NEED a backup though! I go through these spurts of "OMG the possibilites are endless, I know just what to do and what they need"... and I'm excited. Then I go through these slumps of "what the heck do I do... I have no clue what to do!"

I did ask them what they wanted to learn... my oldest just said the normal "oh, reading, writing, science, social studies/history, art... but not math... I don't like math"... lol... I told her she needed to learn math. My middle girl said pretty much the same thing except she wanted history and -not- social studies... LOL.

But what about high school... what do I do about high school? OMG I'm thinking too hard on this!!!

oredeb
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

News Article about the K12 online virtual Charter Schools (warning)

Veteran Home Educator Also Gives Warning

Grade Level Requirements

Various Methods Used By Home Educators (with resources) (also includes online learning)

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I am the exact same way. I go nuts looking for curriculum and there is so much out there. I keep looking and looking and then think I found something that will work but then I keep looking!! Once I find something I have to stop looking that's my rule. I did that this year and I actually bought the curriculum already so I can't keep looking. I drive myself crazy!! Good luck.

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

I'm actually considering Time4Learning with the older two... that's what I was planning to use for my youngest as a supplement. I feel like I NEED a backup though! I go through these spurts of "OMG the possibilites are endless, I know just what to do and what they need"... and I'm excited. Then I go through these slumps of "what the heck do I do... I have no clue what to do!"

I did ask them what they wanted to learn... my oldest just said the normal "oh, reading, writing, science, social studies/history, art... but not math... I don't like math"... lol... I told her she needed to learn math. My middle girl said pretty much the same thing except she wanted history and -not- social studies... LOL.

But what about high school... what do I do about high school? OMG I'm thinking too hard on this!!!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This past year, we did Rod & Staff English plus time4learning.com.   It worked somewhat, but I wasn't happy with their approach to the upper maths.   My daughter had to google a lot of things because she's at the top of my abilities.   However, she did learn it by googling it, but I just didn't see a lot of retention of math concepts.

Also, with T4L, the science and social studies was mainly just reading something to themselves and then quizzing on it.    They were bored with this approach and wouldn't retain much after the tests... so...

What I did with time4learning, I found a way to print off all their upcoming work per subject... (I forget how, but it's there somewhere)... and put it in a 3 ring binder.   We used it to create MASSIVE book boxes on their topics from the library every two weeks and they did extra SMALL projects, reports, essays, etc... to share what they are learning.  

It was so much better than just doing T4L itself.   (((for example, each kid picked out about 15-25 books per subject (science and social studies) to put in their book box, and they would do about a half hour on T4L and then about a half hour to 45 minutes on the book box for that subject.  On Fridays (or whenever we felt like it) we would do an art project and brief written or oral essay/report on what they had been learning.  It was easy enough because I let them have free reign with their project and they enjoyed showing off to the family their projects.

T4L's language arts was fun enough and kept their attention, but I like the hard-core, old-fashioned approach to English and grammar that Rod & Staff provided.   So, we actually found books for them from someone used REALLY cheap, but they were a grade advanced... so we have been doing that 2-3 times a week and they won't finish it until next year which will only put them a half grade ahead when we start the next book.

It worked well in every area (the way we did it)... except, like I said... Math.   This next year, however, I'm switching to teaching them everything.   Combining as much as I can for all three (6th, 4th, and K).  

One way we make sure we have money for curriculum every year is to claim a ton less than we can on taxes and get a large tax check.   That tax check goes toward their curriculum, some extra curriculars, camps, and if we have the money a family vacation and something small for our home.

It kinda forces us to put priority on their education, however, there are some great moms/dads out there that have homeschooled a lot cheaper than we have.   I just don't have it in me with four kids (there's a 10 month old,too!) and dealing with my own medical issues.

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Ohhh goodness... I don't know what I'm doing! Is it normal to feel like this and be THIS scared? I know what I want to do but I don't know how to get it accomplished :( I'm just not smart enough to do this :((

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Ambleside online is free.

But I think it's more important to have a better idea of how you plan on homeschooling. Learning styles, methods, any philosophy's you have, etc.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Don't be afraid...

I'll share some stuff and maybe it will help.

I grew up in an emotionally, mentally, and sometimes physically abusive home.   I have serious issues that I have to wake up every day and put into the right "pocket" to be able to function in real life.   My family has medical history of psycological issues (in the women).  

I have severe ADD that causes me to have these erie ghostlike feelings of suddenly not knowing where I'm at or what I'm doing.   I drop words, phrases, and important information all the time.   When I say drop, I mean they get sucked into a vaccuum and I don't get them back for sometimes days or weeks.  

I have moments when driving down my very street that I live on when I suddenly start having a MILD panic attack that I have to talk myself out of because I suddenly felt like I'd never been there before.   Like I had been picked up out of the blue by some giant hand and put onto any random street in the world.   I don't recognize anything... I have to talk myself down from a panic attack and remind myself who I am, who my kids are (who are in the back seat, by the way) and that I KNOW in my head I'm on my own street... It only lasts about 30-50 seconds, but I have to make a conscious choise not to flip out for that amount of time until I come "back"...  I don't black out or lose control of driving or anything... I just feel panicy like I'm suddenly in the wrong place and lost.

I'm unable to complete simple tasks sometimes, cannot stay on task.   Cannot hold a job for more than a few months before it goes sour...  I have never worked anywhere longer than 14 months.   I lose it and get panicy when things get confusing.  

I fight ALWAYS to maintain my temper.

Anyway, I say all that because I want you to know that I'm currently home educating my 3 oldest.   Prek, 3rd, and 5th.  I also have a 10 month old.   I manage to somewhat keep the required daily logs and the portfolio examples that is required by law.

I have my days of struggle, but it's a lot easier than it feels like at first.   Trust me, when I say.. If I can home educate my brood...   I feel that anyone that WANTS to can.

My two oldest are a grade ahead in English, my son is pretty much on-track in math, and that's because we didn't like our math this year.   My daughter is doing 7th grade math right now (and she's supposed to be a 5th grader)...  they both were in public school for a bit.   Part of the time I have been homeschooling, i was also doing daycare from 5am until sometimes 11 pm.

again, if I could swing it, trust me, you can.

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

Ohhh goodness... I don't know what I'm doing! Is it normal to feel like this and be THIS scared? I know what I want to do but I don't know how to get it accomplished :( I'm just not smart enough to do this :((

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM

You sound like you have pettimal seizures - I think they are called partial seizures now. I had them when I was a kid.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Don't be afraid...

I'll share some stuff and maybe it will help.

I grew up in an emotionally, mentally, and sometimes physically abusive home.   I have serious issues that I have to wake up every day and put into the right "pocket" to be able to function in real life.   My family has medical history of psycological issues (in the women).  

I have severe ADD that causes me to have these erie ghostlike feelings of suddenly not knowing where I'm at or what I'm doing.   I drop words, phrases, and important information all the time.   When I say drop, I mean they get sucked into a vaccuum and I don't get them back for sometimes days or weeks.  

I have moments when driving down my very street that I live on when I suddenly start having a MILD panic attack that I have to talk myself out of because I suddenly felt like I'd never been there before.   Like I had been picked up out of the blue by some giant hand and put onto any random street in the world.   I don't recognize anything... I have to talk myself down from a panic attack and remind myself who I am, who my kids are (who are in the back seat, by the way) and that I KNOW in my head I'm on my own street... It only lasts about 30-50 seconds, but I have to make a conscious choise not to flip out for that amount of time until I come "back"...  I don't black out or lose control of driving or anything... I just feel panicy like I'm suddenly in the wrong place and lost.

I'm unable to complete simple tasks sometimes, cannot stay on task.   Cannot hold a job for more than a few months before it goes sour...  I have never worked anywhere longer than 14 months.   I lose it and get panicy when things get confusing.  

I fight ALWAYS to maintain my temper.

Anyway, I say all that because I want you to know that I'm currently home educating my 3 oldest.   Prek, 3rd, and 5th.  I also have a 10 month old.   I manage to somewhat keep the required daily logs and the portfolio examples that is required by law.

I have my days of struggle, but it's a lot easier than it feels like at first.   Trust me, when I say.. If I can home educate my brood...   I feel that anyone that WANTS to can.

My two oldest are a grade ahead in English, my son is pretty much on-track in math, and that's because we didn't like our math this year.   My daughter is doing 7th grade math right now (and she's supposed to be a 5th grader)...  they both were in public school for a bit.   Part of the time I have been homeschooling, i was also doing daycare from 5am until sometimes 11 pm.

again, if I could swing it, trust me, you can.

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN