Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading curriculum for K-5

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, This is our first year of home schooling and we have had to change our curriculum several times to fit my son and we seem to have found the right curriculum for math, science, bible etc but not reading and phonics and he is not where I would like him to be.  Any suggestions?  He really likes the math curriculum life of Fred. Thanks Amy

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Just get books at or a little above his reading level & let him pick the ones he wants to read. Also keep reading books to him that are above his reading level(just because he has learned to read doesn't mean that you have to stop reading out loud to him) Another thing that will help believe it or not is if he sees you & the other people in his life reading & enjoying it!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Yes, Ring Around The Phonics is awesome. The kids love it....it is language arts disguised as a game, and comes with 14 early reader books. 

lucsch
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I really loved Sonlight's Learn to Read program. It is a combination of phonics and common sight words. They use the Explode the Code books but add activities. They start with some readers they wrote but quickly start using real children's books for reading. I like that there are NEVER any words not taught beforehand in the readers.

ballerina.2006
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
We are using McRuffy and love it. It is the only curriculum that we haven't switched. Dd learns very well from it. Lessons go as fast or as slow as your reader needs and the activities are fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

We are using  readingeggs.com

oredeb
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

all about reading!

and heres some free stuff, scroll down on site!

http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/search/label/phonics

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

What's his reading grade level?

For kindergarten and into 1st, we use Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Lessons. It starts out droll and dull but they really learn quickly, and the best part is, it literally takes like 10-15 minutes per day. Each of my kids started to get bored with it around lesson 50-60 because they were reading pretty well, so we start adding easy readers at that point (but still do the 100 Lessons book from time to time as well). We have a set called Alphatales which they really like. We also check out easy readers from the library (just starting with Level 1/Level A/whatever - different publishers have different names), and BOB books. 

We also read aloud to them almost every night, a chapter or so of some book they enjoy, not necessarily a 'learning' book. Right now we are reading Encyclopedia Brown to them.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM

BUMP!

CJsMommy040506
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Quoting ballerina.2006:

We are using McRuffy and love it. It is the only curriculum that we haven't switched. Dd learns very well from it. Lessons go as fast or as slow as your reader needs and the activities are fun!

We just got our McRuffy for K in the mail and after looking over it, there are no sight words. The spelling words aren't words a kindergartner would learn as sight words either. Do you have your daughter do the spelling words? I was going to get it for my second grader too, but now I'm not so sure. 

CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:03 AM
I'm looking at High Noon Books for my stepson, who left the public school officially in the 4th grade but with a beginning 1st grade reading level - officially. In actuality, he wasn't that high. We've been taking a relaxed approach to getting him comfortable with reading, now it's time to find something he'll enjoy while improving his reading skills. High Noon Books is an easier reading level, but geared for older readers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)