Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Middle school aged activities

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am looking for some middle school aged activities. Something that would be good for an ongoing meet. I want to start a homeschool meet for my sister to help her out. I wanted it to be a surprise, anyway, my son is in second grade so I have no clue what that age group is into. I was thinking of a book meet or book club but that's as much as I came up with!
I appreciate the help.
Thank you!
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM
My kids arent thar age yet, but my sister us.
I teach a photography class for jr high/highschool and they love going out to take pictures. Another group i know has done something like a flash mob. You can put together some sort of outreach program to help your community. Something based on a subject, like a science day, art day, or something like that. Gl :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

A book club is a great Idea, you could also do a video club or music club, they could watch old movies or listen to old music & talk about the periods of time that they are from or about. There is great history to be learned in old movies & especially in music.

oredeb
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

what about music, jammin together?

sewing

shop type thing- making things

poetry class

gym class

history class

science class

cooking class

drama class

spanish or different lang class

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My daughter loves the book club our local library does.   The class is decent sized and has both boys and girls in it (4th-6th grade)... some homeschool like us and some don't.   There ARE a few more girls than boys, but there is still a decent group of boys.

They pick a book each month, then meet and discuss it and do a project/game and that's it. 

Legos are a hit, especially if you can get your hands on some of the lego robotics stuff.    Clay sculpting and painting is fun, but messy if you have a good place to do it.

Outdoor party type games (especially if you can do messy/wet stuff) are cool with preteens...

Preteens like to be "grown up" but they also like to be messy and silly.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Oh, and your local big grocery chains will sometimes offer field trips like to see how they run a bakery, the meat deli, etc... and they include things like cookie decorating or something sometimes.

You could just start a field trip/activity club and mix up what they do.

The library might have a spare room you can start doing some meetings in, or meet up at a larger Mcd's or somethign that has a play area.   Preteens can hang out pretty much anywhere.  If you have a place that has bouncers or tunnels, you could talk to them about a special homeschool day and get the kids in half price or something if it's a day of the week they are the slowest.

mommytobooger
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Awesome ladies thank you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)