Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I gave my son the CAT (some questions)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

He did extremely well. Can't wait to get the results back. So we are officially done with the 2nd grade!! Did anyone get done this early?? We didn't intend to, but he had finished pretty much everything up, and we are in the process of moving. So I figured it would be a good place to stop as long as he did well on his test. So we will start the 3rd grade in June!

Another question? Does anyone take weeks or months off during the school year? If so do you notice your children struggle getting back into school? I noticed getting Xavier to focus for the test after having a few weeks off was difficult. So I am thinking when we take Sept and Oct off for baby that I am gonna actually give him homework assignments each day. (Like reading for 30 min and some math) Just to give him some work to keep him focused and also to help him work more on his own!

Also does anyone have a child with ADHD? Are you medicating?? My son is diagnosed ADHD. He isn't hyperactive physically, but the Dr explained basically in his head he is. Anyway I have always been EXTREMELY anti meds. And I felt like God made him this way for a reason, and he is special! That he needed to learn to focus and adjust on his own in this world. But I find myself wondering if it would take his frustraition away. He seems get so frustraited because he can't focus. So I would love any thoughts, personal experiences, etc on that! Thanks

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hi Nora. We do not test (we aren't mandated to in our state). Congrats on finishing for the year!

Our daughter is diagnosed ADHD as well. She does take Vyvannse. Honestly, we resisted meds for almost a year - until she struggled so badly that she almost failed a grade because of OUR resistance. That was a huge parenting fail on our end (not saying the same is true for you - it was for us though). Not only did she struggle with her academics, but she became very frustrated when she couldn't focus on the things she enjoyed. Within about 6 months or so of starting medication (it takes a while to find the right medication and the right dosage), she was able to play, enjoy her interests, and doing much better in school. She is NOT a "zombie" or anything of the sort - she still bounces through the house, even now at almost 12 years old (we started medicating at the end of second grade, many years ago), plays with her friends, and can't seem to find her quiet voice *chuckle*.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would try a natural supplement called Attentive Child. I got mine from Amazon. My kids are a little hyperactive but i didn't get them evaluated or anything. They just seem to bounce around on their chairs and focus issues sometimes. I also cut out sugar and artificial crap which has helped a lot.

As far as the other stuff, I am not sure. We don't have to test so I have nothing to add to the testing. Now with the months off or weeks; yes I do have issues getting them back on task after that. This is why I have decided not to take real summer break. We will still do some work just a lighter load.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Thank you so much for sharing. In our state its mandatory to test. And I must admit it did make me feel better knowing he did so well!!

And its so nice to hear from another parent. My entire family is very agains medication. It was just how I was raised. And although I do think people over medicate easily, I just wonder if we aren't holding him back too. I was told finding the right medication can be hard and I think that scares me too! Thank you again so much for sharing!!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hi Nora. We do not test (we aren't mandated to in our state). Congrats on finishing for the year!

Our daughter is diagnosed ADHD as well. She does take Vyvannse. Honestly, we resisted meds for almost a year - until she struggled so badly that she almost failed a grade because of OUR resistance. That was a huge parenting fail on our end (not saying the same is true for you - it was for us though). Not only did she struggle with her academics, but she became very frustrated when she couldn't focus on the things she enjoyed. Within about 6 months or so of starting medication (it takes a while to find the right medication and the right dosage), she was able to play, enjoy her interests, and doing much better in school. She is NOT a "zombie" or anything of the sort - she still bounces through the house, even now at almost 12 years old (we started medicating at the end of second grade, many years ago), plays with her friends, and can't seem to find her quiet voice *chuckle*.

oredeb
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

hi nora, yea the testing is over!!

i will be done friday, thats our last day, usually between end of april and beginning of may is when we always get done and we take months off we start back in september. we just do a couple weeks of review in math and go right on with our lessons when we start up again.

sounds like you have a good idea taking off a couple months for baby and giving your son the reading and math, sounds like it will work good.

would doing school subjects 15 minutes or less at a time help? you could do that throughout the day with all the subjects maybe help with his frustration, i did this for one of the kids and they seemed to do better, and we got things done

NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Thank you, and yes that may be worth a try!  I guess I will see how that goes!!

Quoting oredeb:

hi nora, yea the testing is over!!

i will be done friday, thats our last day, usually between end of april and beginning of may is when we always get done and we take months off we start back in september. we just do a couple weeks of review in math and go right on with our lessons when we start up again.

sounds like you have a good idea taking off a couple months for baby and giving your son the reading and math, sounds like it will work good.

would doing school subjects 15 minutes or less at a time help? you could do that throughout the day with all the subjects maybe help with his frustration, i did this for one of the kids and they seemed to do better, and we got things done

oredeb
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

also

i seen a news show that had a teacher who taught kids with adhd, and she used a bouncy exercise ball to let them do their work on while they bounced, she said it worked good, not sure if that would help with frustration but who knows!!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

1.  Never heard of CAT.

2.  Yes, they do struggle getting back on track after breaks, but sometimes they are looking forward to it as well.   We sometimes ease into it.   Other times, I do all the "classes" I want done, I just do good first week projects in the classes.   After a new baby, there could be other issues though that impact it, like a little sibling envy and such.   Doing school with them gives you a chance to make it about them, so it can work out a good thing.   Just remember not to plan too much so you don't get overwhelmed.

3.  My doc is trying to diagnose my daughter ADHD and I do know that my older ones have some focus/attention issues.   However, the older two I don't medicate, we just treat with consistancy and education on how to reach and teach them.   My third???  I don't know, there are days I want to ship her to the moon, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do with her.   I might consider the meds... I might not.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

A mom I know uses them on her kids, although she doesn't have them diagnosed with ADHD.   She says quite frankly she found it good for them in different ways..

1.   They had more wiggle room, bounce room, etc...

2.   When they were dawdling on purpose, sitting on the ball having to balance all the time sometimes motivated them to pay attention and finish their assignment.   (not that it was punative or anything, but it seemed to help motivate them and keep them moving))

Quoting oredeb:

also

i seen a news show that had a teacher who taught kids with adhd, and she used a bouncy exercise ball to let them do their work on while they bounced, she said it worked good, not sure if that would help with frustration but who knows!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN