Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

PA historic sites?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone know of any really fun/good historic sites in Western PA to visit?  We will be studying PA coming up soon and my son's birthday is when we will be studying it- so I'd love to come up with a really cool field trip for him to go on for his birthday.  I was thinking about Ft. Ligonier or the Johnstown Flood museum, but I'd love any thoughts or ideas if anyone can think of any. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DACIA79
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I don't belong to this group but if your looking for history I highly recommend Philadelphia.

Good luck.
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Quoting DACIA79:

I don't belong to this group but if your looking for history I highly recommend Philadelphia.

Good luck.

We are planning a trip there another time- but for now Phili is a bit too far from where we are.  Thanks for the suggestion though, that is definetly a place we want to go!

DACIA79
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Quoting gacgbaker:

I suggest calling the Pennsylvania Department of Tourism
They can send you everything you need

Good luck
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Quoting DACIA79:

Quoting gacgbaker:

I suggest calling the Pennsylvania Department of Tourism
They can send you everything you need

Good luck

Thanks- already got a lot of information from them, looking for more personal experiences if anyone has them- thank again for all your help!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Fort Necessity and the whole area....there's FallingWater (a house by F. Lloyd Wright), The Toll House on route 40, I believe there is a historic tour in Ohiopyle about the town...the waterfall used to make most of the town run.

If you go to the Flood Museum make sure your check out BOTH!!  And walk the Breast of the Dam route!  There's also a history museum in downtown Johnstown.

Bedford has "Old Bedford Days"

There are a lot of historic spots around all of the Rails to Trails sites too.  And you get an awesome Bike workout while you get your history on :-)

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Sorry the only ones I can think of are Valley Forge and Gettysburg.  Here's a BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)