Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In relation to the religion + homeschool post

Posted by   + Show Post

There is something I have always wondered. I understand why different religions would homeschool, that makes perfect sense to me, you want your children raised in your beliefs not someone elses. My question is, if you are secular, what is your drive to homeschool? I think it is awesome that you do, I am just wondering what was it that pulled you to homeschooling over public schooling? It is something I have wondered for years, and seeing their are secular homeschoolers here I figured this would be a perfect oppertunity to find out why. Please no one take offence as I am truly curious and have not been able to come up with any other idea then to spend more time with your babies...

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
celticdragon77
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting OakesMama:

Oakesmama, I rarely bother to look at anyone's profiles (no offense to anyone). However, your profile picture made me curious. I clicked on it, read your profile statement (I was too lazy to create one, so I have no idea what it is actually called). Anyways, yours I liked very much! I know this comment is not related to this post, but whatever... 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I love my children and want what is best for them. They can get one on one help almost all the time. They can take amazing field trips and they can get plenty of sleep because they don't have to wake earlier than their bodies want them to, so they can be healthier and more productive. They can forge strong friendships with each other and have built-in best friends into adulthood. 

OakesMama
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Thank you very much :)

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting OakesMama:

Oakesmama, I rarely bother to look at anyone's profiles (no offense to anyone). However, your profile picture made me curious. I clicked on it, read your profile statement (I was too lazy to create one, so I have no idea what it is actually called). Anyways, yours I liked very much! I know this comment is not related to this post, but whatever... 

ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I got sick of my baby getting bullied every day and nothing was being done about it. We've homeschooled for a year and he loves it. I've been teaching him how to do a lot of extracirricular activities, like crochet and art and even some piano. I disagree with a lot of the religious things that are in the books (we use Abeka), but I can also skip that part and read other books or get similar worksheets off the internet.

NorthStar09
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I just wanted more time with DD and a happier, more carefree childhood than the schools would provide her. Over time, I've become more philosophically opposed to how schools (public, private, doesn't matter) operate, teach, function, treat children, and have developed other feelings as to why homeschool is preferable for us (and children ing eneral), but that wasn't my original motivation.

kittykister
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Quoting Kat0038:

I am a Christian and teach my kids with a Christian perspective but I actually homeschool because I don't agree with how the PS systems teaches or conducts itself on guiding the kids. 

I homeschool for the same reason!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I homeschool for a better education experience and for moral reasons. These moral reasons tend to be more conservative because I don't believe kids should run around half dressed or with bad language.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM

This is a fairly popular reason. I think people get tripped up with the idea that Christians don't fear the public as much as some believe. LOL

Quoting kittykister:

Quoting Kat0038:

I am a Christian and teach my kids with a Christian perspective but I actually homeschool because I don't agree with how the PS systems teaches or conducts itself on guiding the kids. 

I homeschool for the same reason!

mrs.hartman12
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this
we are atheist and homeschool because the public schools are failing and we dont want the government indoctrinating our children. we are conservative people and dont want left wing extremist molding our children's mind.
maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We are seculr homeschoolers. We started our kids in the public school but it just was not working for them. They were both well above grade level but they were still required to do all of trhe work at the lower level. It felt like all they were doing was "busy work". There was alsp too much fpcus on preparing for the state tests in the spring. Too much getting things done to prepate for the tests and not enough having fun learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN