Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In relation to the religion + homeschool post

Posted by   + Show Post

There is something I have always wondered. I understand why different religions would homeschool, that makes perfect sense to me, you want your children raised in your beliefs not someone elses. My question is, if you are secular, what is your drive to homeschool? I think it is awesome that you do, I am just wondering what was it that pulled you to homeschooling over public schooling? It is something I have wondered for years, and seeing their are secular homeschoolers here I figured this would be a perfect oppertunity to find out why. Please no one take offence as I am truly curious and have not been able to come up with any other idea then to spend more time with your babies...

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Replies (31-33):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm religious but we don't home school for religious purposes nor do I teach religion to them during school. We go to church for that. However, my drive to home school my sons is because the public school has already failed my oldest. The teacher kept telling me that she thought he was gifted and talented and when I would go to conferences and talk to her about him; she'd always say he was at the top of his class and one of the smartest ones. When he came home the last few months of Kinder with books that he was supposed to read primarily on his own and he couldn't read them; I begin questioning why this "gifted and talented student," who is at the top of his class, can't even read the simple books on his own like the rest of the kids and I came to the conclusion that my son was labeled. The teacher labeled him and decided that he is very bright and doesn't need the help that the under average or normal kids needed. So he was put on the back burner. Over the summer I started testing him and evaluation what he learned from school and really there wasn't any thing that I could say he actually learned from school aside from counting. He didn't know his sight words, didn't know simple addition, etc... I felt that he would probably be one of those kids who would go through school slipping through cracks and not getting what he needs because he's "gifted and talented." Turns out the testing came back that he isn't gifted and talented but he is advanced. Whatever, I am not labeling him. He is Aiden and he can be just as smart as any other person.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM
My daughter had a horrible public school experience for kindergarten. Before then I hadn't thought about homeschooling. So because of that, plus she gets one on one (okay, one on three. Lol) attention, learns how she best learns, and to minimize the public influence of sex and drugs etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM
3 moms liked this
I suffered miserably in school. My mother didn't really get her personal life together until I was out of her house for many years, so I had endured five different schools by the time I hit second grade. I never fit in and never found a group of friends I clicked with until sixth grade, and my mother married again and I was back to switching schools for a couple of years all over again. High school was a horror show for me. My first high school was deplorable. Guns, drugs, pregnancy, RAPE, vandalism, assault, teachers bullying students... My mother ignored me when I begged to live with my grandfather and go to private school. I stopped going to school. I attended first period, and then I left for the day, rode the city bus all over town, and went back to get on the school bus every day. I was threatened with expulsion for not attending classes (really???), and I was thrilled. I wanted my GED so I could go to the local community college and stop playing all day. But my mother wouldn't let me drop out, and I threatened to quit anyway, so I was sent to an "alternative" school. And that is where I learned to do every illegal drug available in order to avoid feeling real feelings. It has taken me years to get over the hurt and trauma of my own childhood, and my school experience was the greater portion of that pain.

I want better for my kids. Period. That I am able to instill in my LO my own personal values and bring him up with faith in God every day is a bonus. I have done all of LO's speech and OT myself. He is now only a little behind in speech and he is learning subjects to which he would not be exposed in such depth in a standard PreK: paleontology, history, chemistry, and on. I'm pretty firmly an AP parent, and to me, *school* really feels like turning over my own baby, who I nurse at my breast and in whom I have done my best to nurture the most solid and loving soul, to STRANGERS to raise and mold and instruct in matters I am responsible for teaching if I want him to have a fighting chance in this ever-darkening world. School outside of the home is a crap shoot at best, even for "wealthy" communities. (DH grew up in CT and Boca Raton, in private schools in exclusive neighborhoods, and there were plenty of issues in his educational career as well.) What we get at the end of twelve or more years of handing our kids over to the sausage factory of public/private/corporate education is incumbent upon too many wild variables for the comfort of any good parent once they are aware of such madness. I know what goes wrong and why; it is my responsibility to do better because I know better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)